Hardwoods

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martynbez

Reaction score
Having some fun at the moment make wood cutting boards etc.

I want to use some different types of hardwoods to make some more unique ones but having trouble sourcing them locally. Is there such a thing as buying hardwood online? I've had a quick look but it all seems very expensive.

There are umpteen people selling hardwood on Ebay. Postage can make it expensive, but who knows, they may be just round the corner.

martynbez":20gxl646 said:
Having some fun at the moment make wood cutting boards etc.

I want to use some different types of hardwoods to make some more unique ones but having trouble sourcing them locally. Is there such a thing as buying hardwood online? I've had a quick look but it all seems very expensive.
Bear in mind that some timbers are much more suitable for cutting boards than others; I'd stick with the tried and tested favourites like Maple, Sycamore and Beech etc. - Rob

woodbloke66":lwnno1xk said:
Bear in mind that some timbers are much more suitable for cutting boards than others...
Not that you'd think so based on some of the fancy-schmancy modern boards made from offcuts of anything, well just about but it does include bubinga, teak, iroko, osage orange, purpleheart and bocote to name a few!

I don't disagree Rob, any other concerns aside many of these are just too hard to make good candidates for use in boards, especially if paired with other species that aren't nearly as hard. That's a recipe for a board with an irritating step in its surface a couple of years down the line.

Back