Hardwood Worktops

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColG

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got my first hardwood worktop to fit coupled with a belfast sink. My question is, once I've made the cutout round the sink, what is the best treatment for the edges - should it be some sort of oil such as danish oil or good old polyurethane?

Col

i'm not completly sure but i think you just give them several liberal coats of oil.

aleks

Col

Do yourself a favour and remember to rout-out a drip groove on the underside around the sink opening - it stops drips from hanging on the underside of the top. I treat the underside and visibe edges around sink openings with a PU wood hardener (Bondaplas-Voss) after sanding (waterproofs them) before giving everything 3 to 4 coats of oil (normally boiled linseed with the customer being told NOT to use the worktop as a chopping board - some BLO contains driers which taint foodstuffs).

One tip - if you are doing this for a customer, or even the missus - it's a nice touch to turn the sink cut-out into an extra large chopping board (square off, round over the edges and corners then rout-out two finger grooves in the ends). I always present this when the job is done.

Scrit

Thanks guys - as usual the forum has come up trumps.

It's funny Scrit, I usually make chopping boards with the cutouts when I've been installing laminate worktops - not as elegant but as you say a nice touch.

Thanks again

Col

Back