Hardwood Window Cill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emlclcy

Established Member
Reaction score
What would you recommend to protect a new hardwood window cill before its installed?
a varnish not paint
thanks
carl

Make sure it’s an opaque finish like Sikkens Cetol HLS basecoat and Sikkens Filter 7 Plus topcoat and not a typical exterior varnish as the weather and sunlight will destroy it in no time at all.

Good advice. I've always used Sadolin products just because that is what the local merchants stocked 25 years ago when I moved in. Sikkens should be just as good or better. Someone on here published their own comparison trial and if I recall both did very well.

Main thing, use a decent brand. My neighbour uses the cheapest he can buy on his window frames and seems to have to redo them about twice as often as me: I don't like ladders that much.

The drawback of a traditional varnish, which can look great on day 1, is that in years to come you might have to strip it back and start again. A modern high build woodstain type can just be re coated every year or five.

I'll second the recommendation for Sikkens Cetol HLS basecoat and Sikkens Filter 7 Plus topcoat . I used to use Sadolin but changed over to Sikkens a good few years ago and have found it to be far longer lasting on hardwood window frames and doors in our cold wet Welsh weather.

Martin.

i bought one of each (1ltr) cost me £70! which no dough means i will have to go around the house and do all the woodwork!

on a similar note, what silicon would you use to seal a new upvc window to a brick opening? there are just so many in the screwfix catalogue

Back