Hardwood supplies

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I’ve got wood worm!

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all.
I posted a while back about the best place to buy hardwood boards. Well I just thought I’d update you all.

I’ve found a few eBay sellers who I presume are connected to large furniture makers or cabinet making workshops, who sell offcuts in various lengths of the better known hardwoods: Oak, Maple, Walnut, Ash, Beech etc.

They sell PAR bundles for a seemingly decent price. I’ve linked them below.

Has anyone used this type of supply before?
They won’t be delivered for a couple of weeks apparently but I’ll keep this thread up to date on the timbers quality and overall value.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303247083008
Cheers.
Dave.

... They sell PAR bundles for a seemingly decent price. I’ve linked them below.

Has anyone used this type of supply before?
They won’t be delivered for a couple of weeks apparently but I’ll keep this thread up to date on the timbers quality and overall value.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303247083008
Cheers.
Dave.
That is a very useful 'Heads Up' Dave, and it looks good.

I hadn't yet looked but will need some thin Maple very soon so I've just ordered two packs - anticipate delivery on 21st, so that's only a week - one at 10mm x 63mm and another at 18mm x 48mm - If I'm lucky I'll get two 6mm thick pieces out of the 18 with maybe a 3mm left which will be ideal for the Clock Gears I'm making (see the W.I.P.). I might even get a 6 and 3 out of the 10mm but even if I have to machine 4 mm away as waste It won't be that much of a problem.

Last edited:
Well you’re paying a lot for the convenience, that is approximately 80 in.³ for almost £30 which is about 15-20 times as much as you would pay for a rough sawn waney edged board from a timber merchant. And they are very short pieces. I shall have to empty my short offcuts bin and start selling on eBay if that’s how much they are making.
it may be worthwhile contacting people from on here near you who may have offcuts and equipment. We are all here to help and I know that what is in my short ends bin could easily find a good home. Ian

Last edited:
I don't doubt that buying (say) 200 board feet of (say) 8" x 2" sawn Maple would be cheaper per m³ but there is no way I can justify buying that amount of timber - never mind of one variety :)

The convenience of getting 10mm thick boards is worth the premium in my book.

Well you’re paying a lot for the convenience, that is approximately 80 in.³ for almost £30 which is about 15-20 times as much as you would pay for a rough sawn waney edged board from a timber merchant. And they are very short pieces. I shall have to empty my short offcuts bin and start selling on eBay if that’s how much they are making.
it may be worthwhile contacting people from on here near you who may have offcuts and equipment. We are all here to help and I know that what is in my short ends bin could easily find a good home. Ian

Thanks for your advice Ian.
Yeah I was wondering about the comparable price tags. I don’t have a huge amount of experience at hardwood merchants but from my recollections of REID timber in Glasgow, it was quite pricey, but again, my experience and knowledge of hardwood prices and what to look for was non existent almost.
I’m looking to get the Triton TPT125 thicknesser but it’s out is stock everywhere at the moment, and I use a jointer jig for my table saw that I made, but apart from that, having PAR boards takes the initial risk away and softens the learning curve for me to start with.

Is there anyone in Glasgow, or elsewhere in UK/Scotland that has a hefty offcuts bin that you’d be willing to sell?
Thanks all.

That is a very useful 'Heads Up' Dave, and it looks good.

I hadn't yet looked but will need some thin Maple very soon so I've just ordered two packs - anticipate delivery on 21st, so that's only a week - one at 10mm x 63mm and another at 18mm x 48mm - If I'm lucky I'll get two 6mm thick pieces out of the 18 with maybe a 3mm left which will be ideal for the Clock Gears I'm making (see the W.I.P.). I might even get a 6 and 3 out of the 10mm but even if I have to machine 4 mm away as waste It won't be that much of a problem.

Keep us posted about the quality of the wood. I’ll do the same. Will be good to see what we get!

Hi Dave.

What sort of things are you looking to make?

The timber merchants that are local to me all have off cut bins or racks where you can dig through and pick this volume up for a fraction of the price.

Is there a reason that you are buying PAR rather than planing and dimensioning it yourself?

I've actually bought 2 packs of these a while ago for a little project. Not used them yet, but they are pretty good except one that has been 'dinged' on one edge. Specifically wanted to use 2 of the different colours together. As pointed out it's an expensive way to buy.

Hi Dave.

What sort of things are you looking to make?

The timber merchants that are local to me all have off cut bins or racks where you can dig through and pick this volume up for a fraction of the price.

Is there a reason that you are buying PAR rather than planing and dimensioning it yourself?

Good question. Well I realise that most stuff can be done by hand the old fashioned way but I’m currently umming and ah-ing over whether to get a dedicated planer and a thicknesser or a combo machine as I don’t really have a way of consistently getting dimensioned boards from rough sawn. I’m in a single car garage sized workshop too.

I have a couple of small businesses that want me to make walnut boxes and surrounds for their products as well as to make some wooden handbags (very interesting opportunity! 🤣)
Anyone selling any of the above machinery?

Latest posts

Back