Hardwood suppliers near Salisbury

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon_M

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for hardwood suppliers near Salisbury (or Southampton) for woodturning e.g. closer than Yandles. I can cut bowl blanks from boards and rip wide stock into smaller sizes.

In particular I'm having trouble finding suppliers of distinct light (Sycamore/Maple) or dark species (Purple Heart) e.g. for segmented woodturning. I have Ash, Beech, Oak, Elm etc. so not too varied in colour.

Simon_M":10dys2q5 said:
I'm looking for hardwood suppliers near Salisbury (or Southampton) for woodturning e.g. closer than Yandles. I can cut bowl blanks from boards and rip wide stock into smaller sizes.

In particular I'm having trouble finding suppliers of distinct light (Sycamore/Maple) or dark species (Purple Heart) e.g. for segmented woodturning. I have Ash, Beech, Oak, Elm etc. so not too varied in colour.
Salisbury and the close surrounding area is death as far as decent timber suppliers go; Yandles is your best bet for exotics and they've got 15% off day on the 18th of this month - Rob

I'm on the south coast, midway between Southampton and Bournemouth. The main timber yards I use are Tyler Hardwoods on Salisbury Road in Marlborough,

http://www.tylerhardwoods.com

If I could only use one timber yard it would be Tylers. The quality of kilning is falling all across the country, so it's becoming more of an advantage to use yards like Tylers or English Woodlands who do their own kilning on site and stand by their quality.

After that comes Surrey Timbers, English Woodlands Timber, and Timberline in Kent for seriously figured timbers and exotics. There are some smaller local yards like SC Soffe for New Forest timbers, JF Goodwillie in Waterlooville for softwood and hardwood basics, or Timbmet for sheet goods. There's a wood recycling project now in Southampton but I haven't been as I prefer to pick my own boards from sawn logs in order to achieve the best colour match.

If you're looking for really dark timbers keep Surrey Timbers in mind, it's owned by a South African with excellent contacts in several African countries, he always has boards of dark timbers like Blackwood or Wenge.

custard":4rqk9p9f said:
advantage to use yards like Tylers
A close friend bought a largish quantity of so called top grade quarter sawn Euro Oak from Tylers last year which was appalling...full of internal splits which rendered the stuff only fit for burning. After his experience (which may just have been a 'Friday afternoon' batch) I'd hesitate to go there and spend a large amount of cash - Rob

woodbloke66":3hoo8166 said:
Salisbury and the close surrounding area is dearth as far as decent timber suppliers go; Yandles is your best bet for exotics and they've got 15% off day on the 18th of this month - Rob
Thanks. I'm interested in their behind the scenes tour on 18th so an even better opportunity to buy some blanks/spindles at sales prices.

Visiting Yandles on 12th to try out pen turning - so I can look at their 2 x 2 spindles etc. at the same time.

To arrange a trip to Paul at Goulden Hardwoods in Vernham Dean near Andover - is his wood worth a look?
Can Sydenhams in Salisbury order in hardwood?

Simon_M":8bo8gnel said:
To arrange a trip to Paul at Goulden Hardwoods in Vernham Dean near Andover - is his wood worth a look?
Can Sydenhams in Salisbury order in hardwood?
I'll be going down along to Yandles on the 18th as it's 15% off so I'll be after some chunks of quarter sawn Euro Oak and anything else that looks promising. It's always worth going over to see Paul Goulden and he's usually got some decent stuff but it's all English hardwoods; nothing exotic. It's all air dried as well but you'll need to poke around his sheds to sort out what you need and it's a bit higglty-pigglty (like Yandles). Tell him what you're after and he'll point you in the right direction; it's then up to you - Rob

Back