Hardwood ready for scrolling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I Had the same problem in that planners are so expensive. I now by old furniture that gives a plentiful supply of good widths and depths. I just won a bid on ebay for an old oak side board for £5.50 they come up now and again. Tip make sure its not worth much before you sacrifice it to the saw.

This method has given me a ready supply of decent wood with need of little prep. the draw widths range from 1/4" to 1/2". the backs are oak ply. The side top and draw fronts up to 3/4

Another tip is use Baycrazy. com you put your post code in and it give you all the stuff on sale local to you you select the distance you are willing to travel. Worth a try in the absence of an expensive Planer thicknesser.

Regards S

I have been struggling for years trying to find varying thicknesses and widths of wood, even if you can get it planed it is expensive and inconvenient to have to keep going back and forth especially for pieces of small dimentions. The only answer is a planer/thicknesser although these can be expensive if noise is a problem I know the cheaper ones make quite a lot of noise, but what the hell as long as you are using the machine at a reasonable hour every one has a certain amount of freedom in their own home. I have just had a big birthday wife asked me what I wanted guess what my answer was .... a planer/thicknesser, I am now the proud owner of a Metabo 260 P/T, haven't had a lot of time to put it through it's trials properly yet, but so far I like it a lot. It is very quite for a medium sized planer.

Harry

Back