Hardwood prices?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I realize this is a bit tricky, and prices are constantly changing. (I say this warily), Can anyone give me a way of finding out an approximate pricing of the more common hardwoods? :mrgreen:

I have searched the net, but to no avail. I just want to know how much it would cost (approximately) to build something.

:oops: I don't like using phones.

oops: where are my manners.

Please be gentle.
Regards, Gary.

Thanks folks,

I couldn't find anything anywhere on the net, I must be doing something wrong.

I have been trying for about two to three hours to get Tonys wood price calculator to work, :oops: I have downloaded files to no avail.

I know this is a bit of a cheek, :wink: and I feel a bit daft. :? can you explain how to work out a metric cutting list price, from qu ft prices? Please. (homer)

Yours gratefully,
Gary.

If there is anyone else out there who is having problems with timber pricing, and volumes, this may be of some help. :-k

I came across this site:- www.geoffswoodwork.co.uk/conversion%20factors.HTM and within it Geoff explains how to convert measurements to volume, and calculate timber prices.

EXAMPLE:-
When buying wood it is often priced in cubic feet, eg. Ash at 1in by 6in - £22.00 per cu. ft.

If you want to buy 25ft of 1in by 6in Ash, then you must work out the volume of ash you require by converting all measurements to the same units i.e. all inches or all feet.

If you make all measurements into feet, then multiply:

25ft x 1/12ft x 6/12ft = 25 x 1 x 6 / 1 x 12 x 12 = 150/144= 1.042cu. ft..

The cost of the wood will be 1.042x £22.00 = £22.95

If VAT has to be added then the total price will be £22.95 + 17.5% = £26.94

"I can't get my head round that one". #-o

If you want to use inches for your measurements, then convert all measurements to inches.

[25ft x 12] x 1in x 6in = 1800 cu. in., this now has to be converted to cu. ft.. There are 1728 cu. ins. in a cu. ft.,( i.e. 12in x 12in x 12in), therefore dividing 1800 by 1728 will give the volume in cu. ft i.e. 1800/1728 = 1.042cu.ft..

As this volume is the same as the example worked out in cu. ft. the price of the wood will be the same.

There is more.

I hope this is of some help to someone, and thank you all for your undivided attention. :D

ATB, Gary.

Hi chas,

Yes, thank you.

I have downloaded the calculator, but it doesn't work. Yet. There is still some fine tunning to do.

Work in progress.

ATB Gary.

I would like to thank everyone for there help and support, thank you.

Also, I now have Tony's calculator up and running.

Again, thank you all.

ATB Gary.

Latest posts

Back