Hardwood partition/wall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manny

Established Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts or suggestions for the following:-

A wall or partition to divide one large room into two. The height from floor to ceiling is 3m (9.5ft) and length from wall to wall is 6m (19ft), there will be one doorway.
Approx. half the total area will be glazed with double glazed units (for sound insulation

Because of the size I'm thinking of building either as:-  

1. A series of hardwood frames 3m x 1m approx. and fixing them together in situ

or  

2. A self assembly situation with stiles and rails fixed together on site (easier for transportation) so possibly some kind of knock-down joint.

Thanks

Manny":2wsqnnjp said:
Any thoughts or suggestions for the following:-

A wall or partition to divide one large room into two. The height from floor to ceiling is 3m (9.5ft) and length from wall to wall is 6m (19ft), there will be one doorway.
Approx. half the total area will be glazed with double glazed units (for sound insulation

Because of the size I'm thinking of building either as:-  

1. A series of hardwood frames 3m x 1m approx. and fixing them together in situ

or  

2. A self assembly situation with stiles and rails fixed together on site (easier for transportation) so possibly some kind of knock-down joint.

Thanks

I built a stud wall of those approx dimensions many years ago, and the main problem I found is that buildings are not square in any dimension, especially the roof, I'd definately recommend a platform to stand on whilst working, you need to be quite high up if you are trying yo get fixings into the roof (essential to stop things falling over) - I was partitioning an old barn so had to batten up to about 16 foot ceiling - I'd definately recommend you will need to "tweak" things in situ, so a site-saw, electric planer, are pretty key items. Certainly for me, as i was battening such a large height, I found it was not possible to put the door in the middle, I choose to have it against one wall, as you get the benefit of one edge of the frame being screwed to something solid. If any of it isn't double glazed, I'd look into sound proofing materials, and also, it's worth using decorators caulk around the edges to give a slightly better sound seal.

Adam

Back