Hardwood: keroin

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joiner_sim

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've just looked on google for a hardwood called keroin. I cannot find much infortmation available on this type of hardwood. So if anyone has some specific info they would like to share, it'd be much appreciated.
Thanks.

it's a hardwood used for lorry beds and trailer beds very hard wearing but no good for furniture work.

woodbutcher (richard)

It is extremely hard and abrasive being full of resin. You sometimes see it used a decking in marine or other harsh environments. It is so hard you often have to drill to receive screws. IIRC the splinters may also be poisonous. It is usually sold with rebates on both edges for lorry beds.

Avoid

My laminated bench top is made from the stuff, as others have said, hard, durable, and not very nice to work with. Mine came from decking on a jetty.

Reason I asked was we have been working with this timber for last few days and I just wanted to know if there was any specific dangers of working with this regarding dust etc...

I see now why our planer/ thicknesser was making such a noise! The timber was so hard when being thicknessed that the noise could be heard across the farmers field and to his house from which he started to complain about it! I'm glad we've finished the planing now though the noise level is much more pleasant :)

Only used it once - no particular problems encountered, but not very nice to work with and smells nasty.

On the subject of hardness, I once came across what I thought might be 'ironbark', from Down Under. An appropriate name! A newly sharpened plane just skidded across the surface. It was not unlike keruing - coarse, hard and unattractive.

It turns quick well on the lathe, but for any sort planing, thicknessing, sawing its awful! And it looks pretty bland and unattractive as someone has previously said!

Im currently invovled in manufacturing large wooden buildings (SIPs panels) for agriculturual use, mianly pig housings. And so the keroin is being used to make some gates on the pennings.

Latest posts

Back