Hardwood for Window ledge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelly111s

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been asked to make two hardwood window ledges, roughly 2" x 1" and 7ft long. The customer has asked for hardwood, including sapele or teak. Anyone know of any suppliers in Lancashire (Preston area, but I'll travel). I've tried one or two, but no joy so far. I'm after rough sawn to machine a profile.

I've never used accoya - would this make a suitable substitute ?

Sorry, i pressed like by accident :ROFLMAO:
Accoya is supposed to be rated to 25 years underground or 50 above, so itd be fair to say it should be fine... plus, although ive not used it, it is supposed to be very stable dimensionally. Sapele would be fine, teak would be expensive in comparison

Accoya is only good if you are painting it it looks rubbish otherwise, also expensive and smells like vineger.
Try looking for Utile or Sipo (same wood different names) or even Meranti but that can be very variable in quality so I only use it if I can select it first, heavier the better.
Red grandis is not too bad its a farmed eucalyptus.

Ollie

I got some nice Sepele a couple of months ago at my local yard, stock item for them, but it’s not that handy for you as I am on the east coast opposite you. Ian

I've been asked to make two hardwood window ledges, roughly 2" x 1" and 7ft long. The customer has asked for hardwood, including sapele or teak. Anyone know of any suppliers in Lancashire (Preston area, but I'll travel). I've tried one or two, but no joy so far. I'm after rough sawn to machine a profile.

I've never used accoya - would this make a suitable substitute ?
I guess you have tried in C W Berrys on Golden hill lane and also on King street in Leyland or I have had oak from Savoy timber on Fylde road Preston, not sure if they do other types of hard wood there though. We are a lot poorer on that front since Page and Taylor closed a few years ago.

Try JAS Timber in Blackburn. They usually do Sapele for windowsills etc.

@hunter27 I tried Berrys (first actually) - no joy. Not tried Savoy. I mourn Page & Taylor's demise.
@Illy I emailed JAS Timber. No reply yet. I'll give them a call
@Jameshow Tried British Hardwoods (I like that place) but no joy there. I'll Google Selco - never heard of them

Thanks for the help all

Selco are a nationwide building merchants who stock hardwood by the meter Sapele I expect.

Cheers James

Accoya is only good if you are painting it it looks rubbish otherwise, also expensive and smells like vineger.
Try looking for Utile or Sipo (same wood different names) or even Meranti but that can be very variable in quality so I only use it if I can select it first, heavier the better.
Red grandis is not too bad its a farmed eucalyptus.

Ollie

Never noticed accoya smelling of vinegar and I've used a fair bit of it? Do you smell it all the time or just when it's machined?

If you are really stuck, you could try window fitting companies, they sometimes take out old aluminium frames that have mahogany – usually Sepele windowsills. These are usually in the region of 4” x 2“. Ian

Never noticed accoya smelling of vinegar and I've used a fair bit of it? Do you smell it all the time or just when it's machined?

Mostly when machining it, it is actually manufactured using acetic acid (vineger) which is why its so resistant to rot and moisture.
I also find it makes a very fine light dust that goes everywhere, I guess because it's so dry.

Ollie

Just did a quick giggle and it seems that accoya is actually a soft wood species Radiata pine ,it goes through a process called Acetylization that bonds the molecules in the wood making it stronger and more rot resistant.

Back