Hardwood FLooring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to leave a gap around the edge of the hardwood boards anyway to allow for movement so couldn't you use that for your speaker cables and then put a quarter-round or other cover over them? My speaker cables are 10g and they would have fitted perfectly in that space.

Watch out for hidden pipes! Whoever put the heating system in our house made it very complicated on the pipe runs. I lifted boards everywhere before putting down a maple floor through our hallways and then marked over the top with blue masking tape where the pipes ran. Of course I missed one - and put a nail right through the pipe. Discovered about 4 days later when that piece of floor started warping madly with the injection of moisture. Fortunately it was at the edge in a doorway, so I only lost about 6 pieces, but it was a real pain in the neck having to take it up.

BTW, I used 'factory grade' hard maple, which was clear of knots and holes and with what I'd call 'gentle' colouring - mostly white with pale streaks. Only a few strips had any really dark colour. Our hallway is totally interior with no natural light, so I needed the lightest colour floor possible. It cost me $23/sqm including delivery from Yorkshire to Surrey.
Maple%20hall%201.jpg

BG, that sound like the way I will be doing it. Have you used the Osmo wax. I hadn't come across it before but it looks quite good. Is it easy to apply?

Matt, probably not enough room in the shadow gap because it was a skim rather than a full plaster so its not that deep. Besides for 5 channel surround that could be quite a lot of cable in places.

WHW, well done with your hall. I see what you mean about needing a light floor. Fortunately I have windows both ends of the room so there is plenty of light. Also all walls and woodwork are white so it should be able to cope with a dark floor. No problems with the pipes, they run under the joists so are a good six inches under the floor. I know because I put them there :)

Thanks for your responses all. Hope to order the wood this week if they have enough in stock.

Andrew

HI andrewm
The osmo oil/wax was very easy to apply. I put it on with a foam brush. The first coat raised the grain a bit and a sanding was necessary before the second coat. (I guess this should be done anyway) It takes at least a day to go off properly though. I was very pleased with the finish. The previous time I ‘did’ a floor I varnished it with a water based varnish. I consider the finish of the oil/wax to be a much better finish.

Latest posts

Back