Hardwood Floor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
In the process of having my conservatory extended (wish it was the workshop) and have decided to put down a hardwood floor. The base is concrete scread, is it realistic to get away with just putting down some underlay with the floor directly on top, or will I need to consider some joist's?

I do intend to have the floor floating to allow for movement, is this the correct method?

Last question is, how should I treat it?

Thanks folks

Waka

Hi Waka

Firstly, I assume that you will have a decent damp proof membrane. (Apologies for grannies and eggs etc.)

I've had this site bookmarked as it, hopefully, gives you all of the information that you require http://www.ifloor.com/hw/gen/hw.geninstall.html

This is a good thread on the SFX site: -

http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread.jspa?forumID=22&threadID=390&messageID=2256#2256

This is a good search: -

http://www.screwfix.com/talk/search...&userID=&numResults=15&submit.x=19&submit.y=7

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Waka
If you're talking about real hardwood flooring such as you might buy at B&Q, this can go down over an underlay. It comes pre-finished in most cases.
Also available is a real hardwood laminated floor that clicks/slots together. Also pre-finished. The advantage is you get the feel of real hardwood (the laminate is about ¼" thick) with the stability of a man-made board.
What do you think?

Guys

To answer Neil's question, yes a damp proof membranes is down so hopefully no damp problems.

Aragorn, was actually thinking of getting the flooring from British Hardwoods, it already comes t&g'g and looks good quality and I think reasonably priced. Used them a lot for stock and haven't been disappointed yet.

I did consider the laminate flooring and already have it in one room, but my poor dog slips and slides all over the place especially coming up to food time. So really thinking of the real thing, having said that I've not priced it out yet, so the dog could very well continue to slip and slide in another room.

Waka

You'll get a lot of movement from boards bought from British Hardwoods! Unless you are prepared to let it sit in the room for several months. And even then... :?
The store bought stuff is real wood. If the surface is too slippy, why not sand it back a little and apply your own floor varnish. You could even mix in a small amount of fine sand on the final coat to make it completely non-slip.
Just ideas :wink:

I bought some oak and walnut from British Hardwoods - and it's been perfect. It may be the difference between buying flooring - and furniture grade stuff - but I'd recommened them again. Did you have a bad experience Aragorn?

Adam

Hi Adam
No not at all! This wasn't meant to be a comment about British Hardwoods in particular (apologises if it came across as such).
Just surprised that unseasoned new hardwood can go down in planks on an underlay without there being a lot of unwanted movement.
Your experience shows me otherwise!

I would presume it was resonably seasoned, however, a friend of mine bought some oak recently from a place near cambridge, real cheap, and one fo the reasons was it'd been out in a barn, rather than moisture controlled conditions they told him not to screw it down for six months, to give it time to acclimatise to the room.

As far as I know British Hardwoods timber is sold kiln dried.I had some oak from them and it didn't move at all, even in our very warm house.
If you could get to their mill you could see all the different flooring laid in their showroom

Thanks all

have to admit that the only wood I've had movement trouble with from BH is Beech, but that is a veery lively wood anyway so I guess I should have expected that.

Looking at their site for flooring the native Ash looks quite good, anyone tried it? It looks, I think, a little lighter than the American ash, its also unfinished which I think is perferrable.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Waka

Back