Hardwood Dowel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonA

Established Member
Reaction score
Howdy Peeps......

Just a quick one really.......does anybody know where I can get some hardwood dowel?

Thanks

SimonA

I got stuck on this one, and ended up making a dowel plate (and buying a LN one later) and making them myself. Very successful.

Adam

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

You can get hardwood doweling from the big DIY stores. Doesn't say what sort of hardwood, I suspect beech. Also a bit limited in the sizes available.

Funnily enough, I was wondering just the other day how to make a jig for making doweling. I was thinking of a steel plate, drilled to size and countersunk to create a bevelled cutting surface. A range of sizes could then be made in a single plate and clamped in a drill press it should be quite effective.
Cheers,
Barry

That does look very successful Adam....hmm...I ight get one of those instead then. So how do you use it? Make a square peg of around the same size the trim the corners off and bang it through the plate?

I'm sure I was going to get one of these the last time I came across this problem.

Never thought about the bigger DIY stores, but you could be right when you say that most of their stuff is usually beech. Its a shame that they don't do a wider range of hardwood boards and dowels.

Cheers.

SimonA

SimonA":1lsv19rs said:
That does look very successful Adam....hmm...I ight get one of those instead then. So how do you use it? Make a square peg of around the same size the trim the corners off and bang it through the plate?

That just about sums it up. The dowels looked quite ropey to me, but once installed, looked superb. I bought the LN Metric plate, but the ones in the picture were from a made up plate at work. I cut some approximate bits of walnut, scraped a bit off the corners (can't remember either a chisel or belt sander perhaps, chiselled a nose onto them, and then twatted them through with a hammer.

Adam

Hi All

I made one of these after reading a post I believe from Adam a few months ago now. If you have access to the equipment a very simple procedure, but even if not, "a get you by one" could be as simple as a hole, the size you want the dowel to be, drilled through a steel plate. The thicker the plate the better really up to about 10m/m. I made one from tool steel and put about 8 holes in it. The plate was about 6m/m thick and you drill two holes for each hole. One hole is about half a m/m bigger than the finish size and stops about 1mm before going right through. If I remember correctly 2,3,4,5,6,8,10,12, were the finish size holes I did, but I might be wrong. It was then hardened to 65 Rockwell and then I tempered it to about 60 Rockwell. It was then ground flat to give a nice sharp edge around the hole. I just take a piece of the wood that I want the dowel to be of, and make sure it has got a couple of m/m all around. It doesn't really matter if it is square or round and then tap it through the hole. I always tap it through a larger hole first and then tap it through the final size.
I believe it was Adam who posted this info in the first place and I can assure you it works perfectly to give you a dowel in whatever wood you require.

All the Best

John

ahhh....now I remember.......cheers for that Alf.....Well if you two both have one then I'm going to have to order one....don't like to be left out!! :D

Cheers for the heads up on making your own John.......

SimonA

Alf,
Don't want to go O.T. but what's the story on the "Birthday Plane". Looks like a Krenov style home made one.
Questioningly,
philly :D

Philly,

That's exactly what it is. Somewhere, deep in the "other place's" archive, there's the whole story. It was for my dad's birthday (desperation is the mother of inventing lousy birthday pressies :roll: )

Cheers, Alf

For short lengths, the plate method works fine. I remember my Dad doing the same thing.

For longer lengths, I use a drilled block of beech mounted over a cove cutter on a router table. A square length goes in and a round length comes out. I'm hoping that nice Mr Pete will publish it one fine day soon in a woodworking mag near you. It's very easy to get it wrong, things have to be just so, but when you do get it right, you can produce yards of the stuff, any diameter, any wood, smooth finish.

Cheers
Steve

Back