Hardwax oil over application?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DansWorkshop

Reaction score
Just finished installing some parquet flooring in my hall. Sanded and oiled it. It looks great but it's been about 20 hours since the second coat and it's still quite tacky. Unsure what to do next. Any help and advice appreciated.

I'd put money on it being to thick a coat so you'll need to remove some of it try washing some off with some white spirit.

Yep that's the plan, I have found the best way to apply it is with a wide card filler applicator type thing (think blunt card scraper) or large credit card, spreads it, fills the grain but removes the surplus all at the same time.

Yep that's the plan, I have found the best way to apply it is with a wide card filler applicator type thing (think blunt card scraper) or large credit card, spreads it, fills the grain but removes the surplus all at the same time.
Noted for next time, thanks.

Got the living room to do next. Not parquet this time thankfully.

It does seem to have hardened up a bit now. But you can tell it thick on top of the wood and will scratch easy. Will white spirit still work once hardened or could it be buffed instead?

As mentioned, its probably been applied slightly too thick. It will dry eventually but ideally you want to remove any excess straight away.
Also, might be an idea to increase the room temperature a bit if possible, that'll speed up the curing process a tad.

As mentioned, its probably been applied slightly too thick. It will dry eventually but ideally you want to remove any excess straight away.
Also, might be an idea to increase the room temperature a bit if possible, that'll speed up the curing process a tad.
Yeah I've had a heater and a fan in the room to blow warm air around. It does seem to have hardened up across most of it now. Not sure if I can just use a buffing pad to remove excess.

Just finished installing some parquet flooring in my hall. Sanded and oiled it. It looks great but it's been about 20 hours since the second coat and it's still quite tacky. Unsure what to do next. Any help and advice appreciated.
Another problem when applied too thick is that it won't finish up so hard. Years back, down in kangaroo-land, I laid floor slate which was sealed when finished. If the sealer was applied too thick, it would scratch easily. Another thing was that the solvent was toluene, with no warning, so in the beginning with no mask it was also no nookie as my breath reeked from the solvent.

I would suggest scraping it back rather than white spirit. Just because the spirit will "dilute" the wax oil, it may not harden up correctly afterwards. I say scrape it back with a card scraper until even, let it dry a week. Then apply a super thin final coat to even it up.

Ollie

I would suggest scraping it back rather than white spirit. Just because the spirit will "dilute" the wax oil, it may not harden up correctly afterwards. I say scrape it back with a card scraper until even, let it dry a week. Then apply a super thin final coat to even it up.

Ollie
It has actually hardened now so it's fine to walk on. As mentioned the issue is it will scratch easily due to the thicker layer of wax on top.

As this has now hardened but I want to remove some could it just be buffed down in order the remove the top layer?

It has actually hardened now so it's fine to walk on. As mentioned the issue is it will scratch easily due to the thicker layer of wax on top.

As this has now hardened but I want to remove some could it just be buffed down in order the remove the top layer?
It may work, would you be using a buffing machine with those big webrax disks or something? My concern with that would be if it becomes hot and goes sticky, then it could make a mess. I guess try it on a small area and see.
Good luck

Ollie

I'd hire a floor buffer and white pads. Edit: I see Ollie got there first. There are different types of buffer, you want a low speed one (120 rpm or so IIRC).

Latest posts

Back