Hardware stores Nottinghamshire

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrodieB

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Appreciate this won’t apply to most. But I’m looking for the go-to shop in or around the Nottinghamshire area.

Going to big businesses like wickes and screwfix for one off items is just becoming increasingly frustrating. I wondered if anyone knows of more traditional, family run hardware stores which I can almost ‘pick&mix’ fixtures and fittings myself. Rather than buying a big of 1000 tiny screws or bolts in never going to use again.

Thanks,

BrodieB

If you find one let me know, in the old days Hopkinsons near the station was the best, I went in with a bunch of steel screws and the chaps in brown coats went up the ladders and rummaged in draws and found the same size ones in brass.

Car boots are a good source of bits and bobs I allways buy old brass screws, hinges, pop rivets, nuts and bolts.

I have a good selection of slotted screws in brass and steel thanks to one department it work throwing them out.

Pete

Ah yes, Hopkinson's. A wonderful place. Mahogany counters, hundreds of wooden drawers and, as Pete says, men in brown coats and ladders (I don't mean they were wearing ladders...).
When they closed and it was taken over by a box-shifting operation, it was all ripped out. Just vandalism, it should have been Listed. They didn't even stay there that long, before they moved out to a trading unit. A sad loss.
In Kirkby we have Beeleys, but it's not a patch on Hoppo's. And whenever I go in, I am the only customer.

Steve Maskery":195ufdey said:
In Kirkby we have Beeleys, but it's not a patch on Hoppo's. And whenever I go in, I am the only customer.
Bloody hell, they're still going? I thought they'd packed up long ago. I'm told there's a decent shop in Shirebrook that was Jepsons.

Back