• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

hardware being replaced

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Charley

Established Member
Reaction score
Some time today the servers memory (RAM) is being replaced. This will cause 5-10mins downtime.

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
Charley":24pa4y0u said:
This will cause 5-10mins downtime.
How did it go? I usually find the simplest of quick jobs can take days to organise and hours to complete :oops: :lol: :oops:

Charley

Established Member
Reaction score
The datacentre did it a few hours ago but ran into some problems. It appears to be a fault with the motherboard not the memory so there will be some more planned downtime either tomorrow or Saturday to replace it :(

Charley

Established Member
Reaction score
There is planned downtime tomorrow morning and will be a 20-60 minute outage while they move the current hd, memory & cpu into a new box (machine). So if you can't get to the site tomorrow morning that'll be why :) Sorry about all this. If things don't improve after tomorrow I will get UKW moved to a new server altogether.

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
DaveL":nmqmsl1v said:
Charley":nmqmsl1v said:
This will cause 5-10mins downtime.
How did it go? I usually find the simplest of quick jobs can take days to organise and hours to complete :oops: :lol: :oops:
Sorry to be the profit of Doom, last machine I tried to add more memory to had been in service so long no one had the key to get the lid off :roll:
I had to pry the case open with the biggest pair of screw drivers I could find :oops:

Dewy

Established Member
Reaction score
I know only too well how upgrading can take much longer than anticipated.
The New York based chat program Paltalk were upgrading their servers in early September 2001. They informed everyone that the down time would be 6 hours. It took 3½ days to get it back up & running. The suppliers had delivered eqipment that was incompatible & replacement parts were ordered. While waiting, 11th September came & the twin towers were attacked only a short distance from the Paltalk offices. Telephones in & out of New York were down for days & they had to wait a few more days before the equipment could get into New York. The management rolled their sleeves up to keep the program going on a reduced level. During that time Paltalk was one of the few methods of communication in & out of the city. The Americans using it were thankful that the owners managed to keep the communication lines open to their families when many of their friend were buried in the rubble. This shows the strength of the internet as a means of communication & passing on information. At the time I was talking with the chief programer who could see it all from his office. The tone of his voice that day will haunt me forever.

kityuser

Established Member
Reaction score
3 reasons why a lump of wood is better than a computer (in the opinion of THIS chip designer):
1) computers aren`t made of wood

2) wood doesn`t :
a) crash
b) hang
c) need upgrading
d) run windows
e)go worng when the power is removed (black and brown outs)
f)require a systems manager :D
g) get the hump with static
h) promise things that can`t be delivered
i)waste your time
j)make you want to hit somebody/thing
k) keep costing you money

3)wood gets BETTER the older it gets

Latest posts