hardpoint saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
:roll: Has anyone else tried "Predator" hardpoint saws?....they are vicious -the10 pti isn't to bad, but the 7&8 pti are rough. The guy who put a new bathroom in for me saw a couple in my 'shop and cracked me up when he said he'd tried one and it made him feel like he'd never used a handsaw before. I could only agree; no one expects perfection from a hardpoint, but they are a pos.

They are good for what they say on the outside of the cover, I've used the 7&8tpi on stud walling, Chestnut sleepers and exterior framing for decking and they cut fast and clean IMO, however I would use one of my Japanese saws for any quality work.

Pretty much the same as an Hardpoint really, they never leave a quality finish.

Never really had a problem with S&J Predator saws. They do the job well, but have stamped teeth and a little side dressing of the teeth tends to make them easier to start in a cut.

GazPal":1e164tzc said:
Never really had a problem with S&J Predator saws. They do the job well, but have stamped teeth and a little side dressing of the teeth tends to make them easier to start in a cut.
It's starting cuts that I find them bad for-- they jump like like bleedin' kangaroos. I find them O.K. once into the cut.
(I've used saws regularly for 45yrs- I have used a lot of other saws :) )

I've got one, cant remember the tpi off hand - been a good saw. Long past its best now and rusty due to garden duties but keeps on cutting despite me hitting nails/staples/wire mesh. Best bit is it only cost £4, time to look for a new saw though.

Back