Hard wood supplies

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pat.barry

Reaction score
I've been wood turning for a couple of years and have been mostly scrounging hardwood from friends and family. I hav'n't been able to find a reliable supplier within easy driving distance from Thetford, Norfolk. My closest does'n't always have anything suitable. Any tips would be very welcome. Pat

agreed - a surprisingly useful source of fruitwoods, sometimes box, holly, yew etc... and they usually just shred it or burn it. Ours (David, nice bloke) brought me round a cherry (yep, the tree) free about 3 years ago. I think they are pleased to see the wood get used to better purpose.

You could order online. These guys are brilliant.

Stiles and Bates

There are other places doing the same thing, if you look on Google for 'woodturning blanks'. There are plenty on ebay as well, but all seem a bit expensive to me, and huge delivery costs.

Also - worth going to your local builder's merchants or timber merchants even better if you have one, and just ask to go through their offcuts bin. They usually have stuff they are just going to burn - and you can find all sorts of stuff completely free. I've had Sapele, Iroko, Tulipwood, Beech, Oak out of bins in the last few months alone.

Back