Hard wax oil over hard wax filler?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDarren

Established Member
Reaction score
Can't see an answer to this elsewhere.

I'm making a desktop out of American red cherry with maple breadboards and cherry drawbore dowels. Panel is glued up pretty well but there's a 2" chip between boards 3&4. I don't have good experiences with wood filler and am thinking of using Konig hard wax filler and then finishing the desktop with Chestnut Hard wax oil which is my goto. I notice that the Konig filler requires a short burst of lacquer to set it and I wonder if that will impact on hard wax oil. Perhaps an intermediate coat of shellac or apply hard wax filler after the hard wax oil. Advice welcomed please.

I use the Konig hard wax fillers, they do not need spraying over with lacquer. I think Konig state that because these fillers are designed for repairing lacquered furniture. If you use the Konig fillers for your cherry top make sure you give it a good sanding afterwards otherwise you will have a 'bloom' of filler in the grain around the area you have filled. You will then be able to use your wax oil over the top. Personally I would use a different filler, either a stopping like this one Liberon Wood Filler | Multi-purpose Interior and Exterior Filler, or car body filler with some dry pigment powder to match the cherry.

Back