Hard wax oil over briwax

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cappie49

Reaction score
Hi
Brand new here and have a question I’m unable to find a definitive answer for, I’ve recently purchased a hardwood breakfast bar that has been finished with briwax dark oak. As it’s going to be for heavy use in a busy kitchen area, and I have two young kids, I’ve been looking at ways to waterproof it or extra protection. Don’t really want to strip it back so looking at hard wax oil, liberon state it can be applied over previous oil but can’t find if can be applied over briwax. Any help greatly appreciated also if hard wax oil can’t be used all suggestions welcome.
Thanks

Thanks for reply any suggestions that don’t involve stripping the bar back? Would reapplying briwax every month do it?

Soemone may come along who is more knowledgable than me on the topic but I don't think there is a magic solution that you can apply over wax. Certainly regularly buffing it up with wax will keep it protected.

It may be with dropping Restexpress and Allfinishes an e-mail and asking them what they would recommend.

Just looked on librons site and they state
TO USE

Preparation

Ensure the surface is bare. Remove any wax finishes with Wax and Polish Remover and any varnish finishes with Fine Wood Stripper. Clean, dry and ensure the surface is dust-free. If required stain the wood with Palette Wood Dye before oiling.

Yeah I’ve found that since I posted as well, I’ve emailed above companies to see if they can suggest an alternative. Thanks for taking time to read post and message everybody

Chestnut Products provide a handy chart showing which of their finishes can be used together - I think it'll give you an idea of what you can use.

Possibly their 'Woodwax22' would be an equivalent to Bri-Wax ?

Screenshot_2020-10-21 Chestnut Products - Compatibility Chart Coloured - Chestnut-Products-Com...png

Wow thanks for that, I’ll look into the products that it’s compatible with. Thanks again. I really hope I can find something to go over. It’s got a great finish and I’d hate to strip it back

I’d also suggest getting in touch with Osmo UK. Their products are good and Tech Support is helpful and quick, in my experience.

A basic principle of finishing is never use a harder finish over a softer finish. Wax is pretty much the softest finish there is.

Cappie, you will have to remove the wax if you want to put an oil finish on.
Removing wax is quick and easy. You can scrub it off with white spirit and either number 1 wire wool or a scotch bright pad. Wet the surface with plenty of white spirit and let it sit foe five minutes, scrub the wax off in the direction of the grain and clean up with kitchen roll. You might have to repeat this two or even three times but it is no more than ten minutes work each time. When the breakfast bar is dry, sand lightly in the direction of the grain with 240 grit paper, dust off then you are ready to put your hardware on. Wax as a finish on something like a breakfast bar is completely wrong and should not even be considered.

Cappie, you will have to remove the wax if you want to put an oil finish on.
Removing wax is quick and easy. You can scrub it off with white spirit and either number 1 wire wool or a scotch bright pad. Wet the surface with plenty of white spirit and let it sit foe five minutes, scrub the wax off in the direction of the grain and clean up with kitchen roll. You might have to repeat this two or even three times but it is no more than ten minutes work each time. When the breakfast bar is dry, sand lightly in the direction of the grain with 240 grit paper, dust off then you are ready to put your hardware on. Wax as a finish on something like a breakfast bar is completely wrong and should not even be considered.
Thanks for that I thought it would need doing professionally. What finish would you recommend?

Wax comes off very easily as said above, you can use solvents or elbow grease or mixture of both. Personally I like to sand the top using 60 grit, then 120 grit then finish off with 240. Vaccum dust off and wipe down with a damp cloth with meths. Osmo finishes are good, polyx oil works well, can take time to dry though. My preferred Option would be Sadolin PV 67. It's a 2 pack varnish, available satin, gloss or matt. You can put 3 coats on in a day and it's off rock hard within 24 hours. Similar money and lasts much better in a kitchen.

Back