Hard Wax Oil finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nozzle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Right i have got 13 awards to do for the Scottish Thistle Awrds soceity and they have reqiuested that it be finished in hard wax oil (osmo - matt/satin finish).
just a bit of background on the job i have to do: basically its 3 pieces of metal that have been laser cut and bent into the shape of the scottish thistle and to put then together you simply cross the metal peices through a slot in the middle. i have been asked to provide the bases for them all made from oak.
award.jpg
so the base is made of 2 parts . 1 part being the big flat surface at the bottom and the second being the four quarters when the plaque is sat. 2 edges need to be angled faces and two need to be natural edge.
so anyway now all the unnecessary talking rubbish is out of the way :) is there someone out there who could give me some very good tips for applying this stuff as i have had no previous experience with it ( plenty of experience with every other finishes).

thanks very much for your help and time.
regards
Nozzle (Paul)

Attachments

• award.jpg
    award.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 637
  • award.jpg
    award.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 728
As it nwill be more decorative in its function than protective, I would just apply it thinly with a cloth, 2 or 3 coats should do it. If, as I assume, you will be finishing it after the bases are assembled, this will give you better control over runs and the build up of finish in corners. Even if you are finishing prior to assembly, I think wipe on will give you more control on small components.

Jim

yetloh":1f1j3voq said:
As it nwill be more decorative in its function than protective, I would just apply it thinly with a cloth, 2 or 3 coats should do it. If, as I assume, you will be finishing it after the bases are assembled, this will give you better control over runs and the build up of finish in corners. Even if you are finishing prior to assembly, I think wipe on will give you more control on small components.

Jim
Hi, yes i will be finishing after assembly but i have already masked off all the surrounding metal so shouldnt be a problem.

thanks for the reply.

Back