Hard glossy white finish on MDF - 1970s plastic style?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julianf

Established Member
Reaction score
I would like to make some small (300mm ish) bits of shaped MDF look like the sort of plastic that is reminiscent of 1970s styling.

Basically hard and glossy. Think those round chairs with the red upholstery and others.

I am set up for 2k spray work, but have no experience spraying MDF.

My feeling is to whack on enough layers of epoxy primer (which is very unreactive and seems to stick to anything!), sanding to smooth in-between, and then some sort of top coat.

Is there a more sensible way?

Thank you

I did think that, thankyou, but I need rounded edges, and curvey shapes. If I was doing loads I'd consider makeing up a mould of some sort, but even then, paint is going to be way cheaper.

I can clear coat the job at the end maybe to get the shiny wet look, but I don't know if I want that. Standard polished gloss might go far enough?

But, yes, a moulded resin part would be ideal. Just a load more work and expense, I think?

When I wanted a gloss finish on mdf, I put a couple of layers of PVA on to seal the surface, then it painted fine with normal gloss paint (all with brush or roller, not spray).

Back