Hard decision, need help! Hegner 2S or Ex 21

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do you need the saws to go super fast? what type of things require a super fast speed? just wondered as I have mine at around 10 and its plenty fast for myself (too fast if i use thin materials so have to slow it down)

You can achieve the same results, or even better with changing the stroke lenght and/or front/ back blade movement if your saw allows it.

As said before for money work Ive use mainly 6 and 12 mm thick MDF where making letters from 30 to 50cm high so if machine is faster then earn more basically .Excalibur has been set up on 1800rpm so wondering if 1400 on Hegner wont be too slow.
Ive got experience how to scrolling but not on machines itself .Hegner will be my fourth saw in my life. For over 30 years used very old Russian construction and still in use
Anyway new one arriving tomorrow so after first cut will know everything :D :D :D

Claymore":2vqpm5n0 said:
Why do you need the saws to go super fast? what type of things require a super fast speed? just wondered as I have mine at around 10 and its plenty fast for myself (too fast if i use thin materials so have to slow it down)

I agree with the above, generally speaking I rarely use my saw at it's max speed, I adjust the speed according to what I am cutting, if it's thin and delicate I use a slow speed if it's thick or not delicate I speed it up!

Well Yes and No Everything depends what you are doing . On Excalibur almost never used speed slower than max. On my beloved Russian saw max speed is much higher, dont know exactly but will say as about 2500 , sadly its only 15 inch throat.

Maybe running constantly at highest speed is what wrecked your Excaliber dzarek. :wink:

would you be able to cut the letters/shapes using a small bandsaw with fine blade? might do it quicker and less strain on the scroll saw? I can't imagine running at full speed all day lol I'm knackered just thinking about it :cool:

Ever heard of the tortoise and the hare? Hare's are much tastier but tortoiise has its own serving bowl 9-)

Lons":2tlyy384 said:
Maybe running constantly at highest speed is what wrecked your Excaliber dzarek. :wink:

Maybe Yes but feel as machine designed for Trade use should be more reliable. Especially on that thin material. Even Axminster engineering said they have many returns so have to be something wrong
Claymore":2tlyy384 said:
Claymore":2tlyy384 said:
would you be able to cut the letters/shapes using a small bandsaw with fine blade?
Scroll saw is used for curve cuts only for straight Ive got 3 different sizes bandsaws .

Back