Happy with your Freeview signal?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd seen mention of this elsewhere and felt pretty incensed. Surely it must be illegal under telecomms legislation to interfere so wholeheartedly with an existing transmission service?
You can bet that if any individual was causing this sort of interfence, the full force of the law would be down on them. But if the mobile phone companies do it, and give Govt lots of money for the privilege, they get away with it.
And the b**tards can't even provide a basic mobile signal to our house, so 4G, whatever it is, is of no interest whatsoever.

It's all about money and power. People don't matter.
A familiar tale throughout history. Often preceding revolution.
But of course, that would NEVER happen in the UK... :mrgreen:

Brilliant bring it on, it will mean i don't have to sit flicking through the channels to try and find an interesting programme that is not being repeated for the umpteenth time that week.

inaspin":2npy7vtf said:
Brilliant bring it on, it will mean i don't have to sit flicking through the channels to try and find an interesting programme that is not being repeated for the umpteenth time that week.

I think you have missed the point.

They stuck an internet/mobile aerial on the corner of our street. Right on a school route, and where they had been refused permission by the local Council. How did they get away with it? They just told the Council they hadn't received any rejection of their application (Load of compost!) and because of a 'loophole', under the Planning Act, were entitled to just build/erect/construct, if they hadn't heard anything within 30 days of their application.

The Council tried to get this stopped, but they were told they had to prove they had informed the company that their application had been refused. Emails, recorded delivery of the letter weren't proof enough!

These phone companies tried this in other parts of the country, but for some reason they were made to pull the things down. Postcodes again; or maybe more robust Councils in some areas than in others.

I wouldn't mind so much, but I don't have an internet phone, and frankly I can't see why anyone else wants this mast either if they're just passing through the area where I live. (Which is the company's excuse for erecting the ruddy thing.) And if reception was so important, why didn't they put the thing in the middle of the copse on a point that is another 200 feet higher? (These things do work inside woodland I know. Fact is they don't give a rat's posterior about people; not even their customers!

I have to pay my Council Tax now. excuse me while I see to that! :evil:

Try this one for total stupidity.

The Waitrose building next to it has the local cinema above, and it's almost at the top of the hill. Instead of sensible coverage at lower power from a decent height, with people well out of the line of fire, we've got the thing having to blat out kilowatts (probably) with half its coverage area blocked by concrete (and it's obstructing the pavement). I wouldn't want to work in the offices above the Barber's shop, nor have a front bedroom in the house along the road to the right!

Why couldn't they have struck a deal with the building's owners?

The 4G thing, incidentally, is going to be 'fun' for the government in the worst possible way.

:lol:

E.

RogerS":3iy5aavr said:
inaspin":3iy5aavr said:

I think you have missed the point.

Perhaps my comment is a bit fasicious but it is a true reflection of my feelings, due to the weather i am forced indoors to watch telly in the evening. All that my freeview seems to offer me is a choice of repeats of cooking programmes fat people getting thin, thin people getting fat donkies years old programmes about selling houses which have no relevance at all to today's market values, adverts that go on forevever or B rate movies.

So as far as freeview is concerned i repeat bring it on it can't end soon enough for me, and if i am still missing the point to be honest i just don't care.

inaspin":z5qerrtk said:
.... if i am still missing the point to be honest i just don't care.

How charitable of you. Why don't you go and read a book then and give your TV away to someone who is bedridden and would welcome the chance to watch TV?

RogerP":4xer0mwi said:
Eric The Viking":4xer0mwi said:
........ we've got the thing having to blat out kilowatts (probably) .
E.
More like 20w may be a bit more.

You may be right, but in that case why does it need equipment enclosures with big fans in them? There are now two companies using that mast; the box on the left of the picture has fans. I can'tr remember about the one on the right - will look next time I pass it.

Eric The Viking":1uq5oe04 said:
RogerP":1uq5oe04 said:
Eric The Viking":1uq5oe04 said:
........ we've got the thing having to blat out kilowatts (probably) .
E.
More like 20w may be a bit more.

You may be right, but in that case why does it need equipment enclosures with big fans in them? There are now two companies using that mast; the box on the left of the picture has fans. I can'tr remember about the one on the right - will look next time I pass it.
Most units do have fans and typically are 20-40w Tx. You can check out many different makers specifications here.

Is that final stage or ERP? And, given the odd modulation scheme (indulge me, I"m ancient!), how does that compare to the instantaneous field strengths of AM and FM systems?

Obviously I was exaggerating (by around 50dBV :oops: ), but there's still a field at that height, and it need not have been sited there.

Eric The Viking":3ui5cehz said:
Is that final stage or ERP? And, given the odd modulation scheme (indulge me, I"m ancient!), how does that compare to the instantaneous field strengths of AM and FM systems?

Sorry I've not much knowledge of commercial systems - you'll have to research it :) I expect it's some form of PSK (phase shift keying. All I need to know that maximum I can use (as a radio amateur) is 26dBW PEP - 400w and one mode we do use that is probably similar is PSK31. 400w (or lots less) gets me to the other side of the world so 3g shouldn't need much to get down the road. :)

RogerS":o439m3nr said:
inaspin":o439m3nr said:

How charitable of you. Why don't you go and read a book then and give your TV away to someone who is bedridden and would welcome the chance to watch TV?

Why don't we all go away and read a book then we would not have to worry about freeview, my bedridden mother has a tv and i don't know of another, if you do let me know i have a tv that i would be only to happy to donate.

Just as an afterthought this morning, i thought that the idea of a forum was for people with differening views on a subject, to have there say put there point of view get things of there chest.

Or am i wrong should i just agree with everything that is written in every post, Roger let us agree to disagree on this it is obviously a more important issue to you than it is to me but Hay Ho thats life.

Kind Regards

Berns

inaspin":1v5hbn0d said:
RogerS":1v5hbn0d said:
inaspin":1v5hbn0d said:

Why don't we all go away and read a book then we would not have to worry about freeview, my bedridden mother has a tv and i don't know of another, if you do let me know i have a tv that i would be only to happy to donate.

Just as an afterthought this morning, i thought that the idea of a forum was for people with differening views on a subject, to have there say put there point of view get things of there chest.

Or am i wrong should i just agree with everything that is written in every post, Roger let us agree to disagree on this it is obviously a more important issue to you than it is to me but Hay Ho thats life.

Kind Regards

Berns

Mmmmm..so let me get this straight.

We were having a constructive discussion about the possibility of Freeview reception being messed up as a result of the 4G transmission network.

You then pitched in saying how much you hated television and that you thought it a great idea that Freeview reception would be disrupted and sod everyone else as you 'don't care'.

As you say, this is a forum for the exchange of views. No-one is saying that you should not post this. The fact that many of us might think that your post is rather obnoxious, and at best pointless and certainly adds nothing to the thread of the post, perhaps escapes you. And by commenting about it, as I have done, I am exercising my rights to express my views on an open forum.

Anyway, as you are feeling so generous and willing to give your TV away then why don't you put it on Worcester Freecycle and post up the link to your TV ? To save you the bother of looking it up, here is the link to Worcester Freecycle http://groups.freecycle.org/worcester-f ... /posts/all

Back