Happy to be here.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spindrift

Reaction score
Hi,

I found this forum whilst searching for UK-based woodturning forums, of which there seem to be surprisingly few. So, I was glad to find this site, which looks like it covers my other interests too!

As my Twitter profile states, I am a husband, father and - as it turns out - inept woodworker, following a painful incident with a belt sander (yes, A&E visit). I have in fact just taken early retirement from the nursing profession. Although not on the acute front-line, last year was, well, 'unusual' and I had a bit of a mental health wobbly so decided that it maybe was time to go. I converted an outbuilding into a workshop and this has been very therapeutic. My most recent acquisition is a Record Power No. 0 (Coronet) lathe, which I am having great fun experimenting with.

My larger tools have either come from eBay, (i.e. a De Walt radial arm saw and the above lathe), or have been given to me. The latter include a vintage American table saw, and a metal cutting bandsaw converted for wood, though the cutting depth is a bit limited. The latter tools came to me from the genius who designed the wooden structures for the Thames barrier. Who knew that those shiny metal shells are built on frameworks and intricate structures made from African hardwoods?

I'm looking forward to spending more time in the workshop, and already have a list of projects to look forward to, as well as ones that up until now I have not had the time to complete.

I look forward to sharing adventures with other like-minded souls.

Come on, tell us what the belt sander faux pas was ? :D
Did you sand down a thumb, or discover why baggy jumpers and powertools dont mix ;)

Welcome anyway.

Be careful of that RAS, dangerous bit of kit them.
Time to 'fess up. Of all the potentially lethal equipment in my workshop, it was arguably the most benign that sent me to A&E. The 6kg Makita belt sander comes with a bracket that allows it to be inverted on the workbench. However, in this position there are no guards or fences. I was sanding a small shaped piece of oak and was momentarily distracted by something, at which point my right index finger was dragged between the 120 grit paper and the body of the machine. The workpiece shot down the other end of the workshop and on my way to retrieve it I looked at my finger. Messy. It's now completely healed but I have no sensation on the left side of the finger tip. Note to self: pay attention and don't get complacent.

As for the RAS; I am deeply respectful of all its capabilities!

Back