Happy Days - MOT passed!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Well last week my 24 year old Land rover was pulling all and sundry out of the snow in Derbyshire

IMG_4054.jpg

Today took it in for its MOT and it sailed through passing first time with No, yes no advisories - Not bad considering its age and that its done neary 220,000 miles.

How many modern cars will last this long ???

=D> Most excellent! =D>

Modern cars have little character and no soul, and are much worse for the environment than old cars if you take into account the production.

My Series II* is a mere youngster at 174ish thousand miles.

*Discovery :oops:

Well done, and agreed older cars seem far better to me, I drive a 1997 Ford Probe which has only just covered 90k miles, never had an issue at MOT time and in the 7 years I've owned her the only thing to be fixed has been a snapped power steering belt.

I take it someone has rebuilt the chassis and had it galvanised previously then? :lol:

Hitch":1stjiwu5 said:
I take it someone has rebuilt the chassis and had it galvanised previously then? :lol:

Nope - still on the original chassis, it had a new rear cross member last year and will require an outrigger doing shortly but still going strong!

The trouble is it looks like the 90 will have to go to pastures new to make way for a 110 as need more space as the kids are getting older.

If anyone out there is thinking of selling a 110 csw or considering changing their 110 csw for a 90 get in touch

Rog

It was originally a 19j TD but that died at 188,000 so was replaced with a 200tdi from a scrap discovery, returns 30mpg even when towing!

Dodge":2a190j5l said:
Well last week my 24 year old Land rover was pulling all and sundry out of the snow in Derbyshire

IMG_4054.jpg

Today took it in for its MOT and it sailed through passing first time with No, yes no advisories - Not bad considering its age and that its done neary 220,000 miles.

How many modern cars will last this long ???

My old Volvo gets taken for its test every year by the guy who does my repairs. Every so often I get an advisory for the faded amber bulbs in the side indicator repeaters. Apparently there isn't a formula of colour that will last for more than a few months, I suggested I might buy some of the dye you can get for the bulb cover itself, but no... That's illegal. Have to have an 'orange' bulb, that fades! Bonkers!

Otherwise the car walks the test every time. (Mainly because my mechanic does a pre-test before he takes it in for its official test, and pre-fixes what he finds. Which isn't often much.)

His verdict on the indicator problem. Also bonkers.. They won't fail you, he said but if they advise on it, I'll fix it before I bring your car back.'
I think this year I'll tell him to replace the bulbs as a matter of course! :D

theartfulbodger":3uiuv4bx said:
Dodge":3uiuv4bx said:
It was originally a 19j TD but that died at 188,000 so was replaced with a 200tdi from a scrap discovery, returns 30mpg even when towing!

And you can put veggie oil in it :wink:

Not for me, a fried runs it 50/50 in his but it lacks go and stinks like stale doughnuts on Gt Yarmouth Sea front (hammer) (hammer)

We had a SWB 90 Defender a couple of years ago, with the 5 cylinder turbo BMW engine, leather seats, air con...very gucci for a Landy. We had three excellent camping holidays to Switzerland and the South of France and the Landy was great...in fact we pulled into a campsite near Interlaken and there were three maroon Landy's (including ours) all parked up on adjacent pitches.
But then SWIMBO had a change of location for her job and instead of walking to work, she would have had to use the Landy for a daily commute and with the best will in the world, they're not the most suitable wagons for that purpose...so we got rid.
I used to love my Landy, but the worst part of ownership is driving onto a garage forecourt and filling up, we sold ours when fuel prices were around £1.20 or so a litre. Sometimes I do regret selling it, but our current little Aygo will sit at 80 on the motorway, whereas for efficient fuel consumption, I had to stick to 55-60 in the Landy (with all the lorries in the inside lane)...anymore than that and you could watch the fuel gauge needle dropping :( - Rob

Back