Handyman Insurance.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powertools

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just set myself up as the local handyman in the village where I live and the projects I am prepared to undertake include decorating and general house and garden maintenance but do not include anything to do with gas, water or electricity.
I know that some of you are in the same line of business and I need advice on the best place to find the correct insurance for this type of work.
Thanks in advance.

Ask around for public liability insurance some may only insure time served tradesmen so do keep looking.

I just googled handyman insurance, there's several companies to choose from, some are brokers.
HTH Regards Rodders

Hi
I do something similar and can recommend NFU, they are not the cheapest but have the best product for the mad stuff I get asked to do from tree houses, kitchen fitting and landscaping at local schools. Also have a good tool cover policy which is new for old rather than the depreciation value policy i had been quoted. Just renewed this as had a couple guys locally had their vans broken into!!
Cheers
Ben

Strangely I use A plan for van and home insurance however their tool cover product was £14 cheaper than NFU but was for deprecated value ( anything over ten years old that was stolen i'd get 50% of the value. Alot of my kit is in pretty good condition and over ten years old. ) so went with the NFU! A plan weren't that interested when I tried to get a quote last year for liability insurance.

That's interesting to hear about the NFU old for new policy. All of them I had come across were allowing for depreciation which makes them pretty worthless in my view.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you will find that a home insurance may cover loss or damage to your possesssions when away from home, but it dose not cover you for doing busines as self employed.

You will not be covered unless you obtain the correct professional indemnity insurance and neither will your customers. Be very careful, as it could cost you dearly if you have a problem on someone elses property whilst working there. Explain to the insurance company what you will be doing and don't assume that you are covered.

Back