Handsaw Disston Double Duty D-17

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awac

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I would post this interesting pre-1928 Disston saw, it has an alternating pattern of five cross cut teeth and two rip teeth, with the sets of teeth separated by a deep gullet to carry out saw dust. It was designed to be used by framing carpenters as both a cross cut and rip saw as well as one to be used for fast diagonal cuts.

Attachments

• Disston_saw_D17 (3).JPG
    Disston_saw_D17 (3).JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Disston_saw_D17 (4).JPG
    Disston_saw_D17 (4).JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Disston_saw_D17 (5).JPG
    Disston_saw_D17 (5).JPG
    318.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Disston_saw_D17.JPG
    Disston_saw_D17.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 46
Factory. In fact it cost a little more money to buy than the top of the range D-8 due to extra tooth shaping.

Factory. In fact it cost a little more money to buy than the top of the range D-8 due to extra tooth shaping.

Seems to have a tooth pattern similar to the saw introduced (in the states), by “Tools for Working Wood”, think it is called a tool box saw.

Seems to have a tooth pattern similar to the saw introduced (in the states), by “Tools for Working Wood”, think it is called a tool box saw.
Found it.
https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/blog/979Thanks for that Tony, I hadn't seen that saw before. Very similar but slightly different tooth pattern. They are using a pattern similar to lightning/great American tooth used for rough cross cutting. I might have one somewhere, if I find it will make a comparison photo.

1609009226651.png

The Disston has this pattern.
1609008819377.png

I might shape a spare saw when I get time to the "Tools for working wood" saw. Got to go being called for Dinner! LOL.

Found it.
https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/blog/979Thanks for that Tony, I hadn't seen that saw before. Very similar but slightly different tooth pattern. They are using a pattern similar to lightning/great American tooth used for rough cross cutting. I might have one somewhere, if I find it will make a comparison photo.

View attachment 99305

The Disston has this pattern.
View attachment 99303

I might shape a spare saw when I get time to the "Tools for working wood" saw. Got to go being called for Dinner! LOL.

I wouldn’t mind having one either, but the Saw is pretty short! Maybe a winter project of filing my own!

Back