Handrail wreath update

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richarnold

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, sorry about the delay in updating about this topic, but i have been flat out making wreaths for about 3 weeks now. initionaly the company wanted 3 pairs of the complex turns, and maybe a couple more curves. well at the moment I'm about to start wreath number 34!!!!. For those of you who wanted a bit more info on how i went about forming the wreaths, i hope these images help
The first stage was to sink the metal base rail into a suitable block of oak.
013-3.jpg
The bulk of the wreath was then removed on the bandsaw, and then leveled with the metal to give a reference surface to mark the overall dimentions of the handrail section from. A small section of handrail was then screwed to both ends to give a guide to the shaping of the wreath.
019-3.jpg

020-3.jpg
As much waste as possible was then removed with the aid of a spokeshave, and various chisels.
Two rebates were then formed by using a combination of a cutting gage, small beveled edged chisel, and the two curved rebate planes. next the cove to the underside was worked with gouges, and the small round moulding plane.
The square section between the rebates was then worked int a small raised bead with the use of a violin plane, small hollow, and finally a small scraper made from a broken piece of hacksaw blade
024-3.jpg

The top profile was cut with a large, flat gouge, and finished with the violin plane, and scrapers.
042.jpg
Here are most of the tools used to make the wreath, layed out on the bench
032.jpg

033.jpg

Hi, Richard

Wow nice work, and some nice tools as well, I am suprised you need so few.

Pete

34 .... I'm guessing that around the 10 mark, the 'knack' kicked in. :)

Good to see that vice again. I'm surprised no one has noticed or asked ... this is also known as missing Alf; I'm sure she would have picked right up on it.
I'm still mulling it over - the possibilities of forged over cast:

DSCN0678.jpg

- maybe with some extra milling ...

Hi Richard. someone told me the other day that this was called a parrot vice. I just googled it and lo and behold this came up.http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rc=froogle.
Got to be worth the money. Bill carter kindley gave me mine many years ago, and you would not believe how useful it has been over the years. Up till now i could only find the odd mention of them in the states, it's great to see they are now available over here

Lovely work and a superbly illustrated "how to" guide...for when I get the keys to the mansion of course! :wink:

It's this sort of artistry that makes you want to go out and remodel your house to include a sweeping staircase and mezzanine floor!!

Cheers my friend.

Oh...and the "much altered" Gabriel is performing BEAUTIFULLY...along with all the others. I got a No.6 round tonight...so I am well on my way to the 64!

Now...the Kenyon saws...mmmm #-o

Jim

I'm even more impressed by this work having seen one of them in the flesh, but 34!! Do let us know when it's finished - never mind the clothes on sale, I shall be visiting that shop just to see the staircases!

I'm imagining something like this...

Endless+Stairs.jpg

Agree Andy - we saw one in progress at Mac a few weeks ago. I was impressed by the few tools used also, and the innovative / intuitive selection of tools for each stage.
That Axi Parrot vice looks a bit of a bargain also - wonder if it really locks up well? An affordable alternative to the pattern-makers vice maybe.

Thanks for that Andy. I hadn't seen any images of the finished job. I finally finished the last wreath yesterday, and i cant say i was sorry, but now I've seen the finished article it somehow makes it all worth it. Just hope they pay me now!!!

Richard, very well done. It's always good to see the work finished and in-situ I think. And what a place to find it... a really great expression of contemporary/classic interior. And Burberry above the door. Fine work has found its rightful place.

Wow, what a small world!

The company I work for produced all the oak joinery at the Regent St Burberry shop and I'm currently foreman at the Knightsbridge store installation. They really are going to be some fantastic looking places when finished.

Nice work Richard :)

Back