Handmade: Britain's Best Woodworker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Handmade: Britain's Best Woodworker

Starts Thurs. 21st October 2021, 8-9PM C4 - 6 Episodes

Production Company's Website

Bake-Off for Woodworkers? Whatever next :unsure:

There was "The Chop: Britain’s Top Woodworker" on Sky. The first episode was broadcast in Oct 2020, but the rest got cancelled from airing.

It seems both programmes were commissioned at around the same time.

Looks interesting, I must have missed the heats to get into this 'final', was anyone else in them???
To be clear, I wouldn't have stood a chance to become tea boy! Not for a moment suggesting that I could compete, just that the title of Britain's best woodworker is a bit silly if the pool is so small.

Yea my fine dovetails did it!!

I did get a call from a researcher looking for chaps to participate in a show being mentored by experts! Which I guess was jays Yorkshire workshop.....

Cheers James

"Over 2 working days the woodworkers will create hugely impressive big builds, and have to navigate the skills challenge…"

A hugely impressive big build in 2 working days!
No doubt a sight to behold. :)

"Over 2 working days the woodworkers will create hugely impressive big builds, and have to navigate the skills challenge…"

A hugely impressive big build in 2 working days!
No doubt a sight to behold. :)

....The same thought crossed my mind... :rolleyes:

more garbage shows - kind of like forged in fire. At the end of season 1, forged in fire had two serious professional knife makers on their show (Murray Carter and another guy who actually beat him). The work they did was stunning, efficient, completely without drama and...

...boring to the average person who knows nothing about the topic and wants to see the regular format "fun contestants, contest starts, oohh...disaster!...zany humor, and then ...oh, it all works out!".

But not before something is broken at the end, we need something broken and perceived as dangerous.

Not that I'll see the BBC show, but our two streaming services show the first and then the last two years of forged in fire. I saw the last ones first, and then the first season. It actually started out as interesting with competent makers, but these shows aren't set up to show competent workers - they need to find something that actual knifemakers can hate so they'll tune in to get angry, and something that looks accessible, but risky to the average person ("I could do that, imagine if I heated a big piece of metal to yellow and hit it and it split in two!!!).

The wiki entry for the 'King of Wood' says exactly what kind of rubbish this will be...

'In an aim to make design culture more public and less elitist...'

The wiki entry for the 'King of Wood' says exactly what kind of rubbish this will be...

'In an aim to make design culture more public and less elitist...'

Next stop, bringing granny from the beverly hillbillies in to discuss surgery with raccoon bone tools and medicines with cat hair and used tanning solvents.

Sounds awful, and I suspect if you have a good wood working knowledge and skill set then it will be painful to watch. Then to see the winner paraded on every DIY TV program like a guru will be even more depressing. Probably earn very nicely out of it.

Bitter and twisted ..................... probably :D

I’d like to give it a chance before deciding it’s not worth the watch.
If it’s a series of heart tugging stories, I’ll be disappointed.
If it suggests the skills required are minimal, I’ll be disappointed.
If it encourages others to develop new skills and I pick something up too, I’ll be pleased.
If it gives people a better understanding of the work required in making something (albeit over two days might be a push), I’ll be pleased.
I’m looking forward to it in the knowledge it won’t be to everyone’s taste and overall, hope it’s a success and we all generally agree there were some good bits to it.

I'll probably give it a watch, although I noted that ****The King of Wood*** happens to be an architect and not a carpenter, joiner or somesuch woody trade type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back