Handles For stanley 750,720

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt1245

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know rough dimentions for stanley 750 and 720 chisel handles? Got a couple winging there way to me as i type, but they are handle less at the moment. I have never held a 750 or 720, and know i could make any handle i like, but from seeing them on the net, they look they'd be really comfy to use, especially with my small hands.

Also what is the best way of fixing the handles into the sockets? i was thinking epoxy.

Thanks.

Matt.

The LN's are based on the 750 - if nobody beats me to it, I'll get you some dimensions from them tomorrow. Don't use epoxy; if you get a nice snug fit the friction will hold 'em in just nicely.

Cheers, Alf

Matt

I have some original 720s/750s; they vary slightly from chisel to chisel, but the end of the handle is tapered and is an interference fit in the socket and the other end has a leather ferruleon it. I don't know if taking the dimensions from another tool by another maker would necessarily work, but I'll photogtaph a couple of handles in the morning and post the photos.

Scrit

Matt
I have a set of slowly acquired Stanley 'D' pattern chisels which are a joy to use. The handles are the same as the 750 with the leather ring on the top, let me know if you need pics/sizes.
Regards
Martin

Matt1245":3ujqifcx said:
How's the thumbs?
thumbs_down.gif
:(

As my info has been superceeded by more relevant stuff, I'll leave it to Scrit or Martin to get you the dimensions.

Cheers, Alf

Thanks martin that would be great, all help is gratefully recieved and needed :D Still not worked out how i'm gonna make them without a lathe, will probably have to bodge up something with the black and decker.

You might have to become a collector ALF :lol:

Matt.

Good idea ALF, will look into that. Good excuse to buy more tools as well :lol:

How do you all find the 750's and 720's to use? Where do you get them? I've had to resort to getting mine from the US.

Matt.

i'd be interested to know where you all get them from too!
i have been searching for sometime but to no avail
incidentally, i have recently cut down some bahco's i got cheap from a tool shop in Hatfield.
I took about 1 1/2 inches from the top,
and ground down the sides for the first couple of inches to a near knife edge.
made a really big difference to the balance of the chisel taking the handle off.
Grinding down the sides made a real big difference in how easy cutting dovetails is.

Matt

Managed to bag 3 more 750's from the US, this time complete with handles, so maybe i'll copy them.

You can buy them from L-N for $5.00

Are they a direct replacement for the 750's handles?

Matt.

Matt1245":1byyqmwh said:
Managed to bag 3 more 750's from the US, this time complete with handles, so maybe i'll copy them.

You can buy them from L-N for $5.00

Are they a direct replacement for the 750's handles?

Matt.

The L-N's are patterned after the 750's. Maybe someone on the board with both can test fit?

Matt1245":2wvo2yfx said:
I should, 'cos Scrit and Martin are conspicuous by their absence. :roll: :lol:

Attached is a picture of some handles I turned for some 750s and a 720. An original is on the left. If I am not mistaken, the diameter is about 1 1/8". I twisted a piece of aluminum foil into the socket to get the inner dimensions. Calipers transferred the measurements to the stock (spalted maple) while on my lathe. The top of the handle has a 1/2" tenon for the leather rings. I used five minute epoxy to mount the rings. By the way, each socket taper was different, so I doubt the LN handles will fit without hand fitting and maybe using epoxy for gap filling.

Kurt

handles2-434x600.jpg

Cheers Kurt, those handles look fantastic.

3 of my chisels have landed today (1/4", 3/4" & 7/8") but these all have pretty good handles. Considering trying the LN handles, we have some liquid at work which is meant to swell wood to tighten joints, might be worth trying out.

Matt.

Kurt Loup":3l9s071o said:
Attached is a picture of some handles I turned for some 750s and a 720. An original is on the left. If I am not mistaken, the diameter is about 1 1/8". I twisted a piece of aluminum foil into the socket to get the inner dimensions. Calipers transferred the measurements to the stock (spalted maple) while on my lathe.

This is easy than foil:

http://www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswin ... _id=106074

BugBear

Latest posts

Back