• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Hand tools being sold for charity

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yetloh

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not a tool collector, but over the years I have accumulated a number of tools which, for one reason or another, I find I don't use, so I have decided to auction them off on ebay and all the proceeds will be donated to Ovarian Cancer Action.

I have been giving some thought to the tools I have accumulated over the years but find I don't use. Although, when I first started woodworking seriously I thought I might be a collector, I soon came to realise that my true interest was in using tools rather than simply collecting them, so I have decided to sell them in aid of Ovarian Cancer Action - this seems a much better option than waiting until I am dead when they would probably be snapped up by a dealer for a small fraction of their real value.

1. A Pax 1776 variable pitch tenon saw. This is their top of the range tenon saw, barely used and in almost pristine condition. It's an excellent saw but I am addicted to japanese saws so never use it. You can see it PAX 1776 variable pitch 10” rip cut tenon saw | eBay

2. A Lie Nielsen 112 Large scraper plane bought 20 years ago but again barely used - I have found other methods I prefer for dealing with difficult grain - and so, in new condition apart fro a bit of tarnishing of the knurled adjusters. See it here Lie Nielsen 112 large scraper plane. | eBay

3. A USA made Stanley No 289, the Rolls Royce of metal rebate planes in really nice condition. Not only that, it is early - pre-1920 - and complete with all the correct original parts. Stanley 289 rebate/fillister plane - rare, early, complete and 100% correct | eBay

4. A rare in the UK Union no 4 1/2 smoother. Nother pre-1920 plane in fantastic condition and with the original blade
Antique Union No 4 1/2 smoothing plane – a nice USA collectible | eBay

5. A probably 1960s Stanley No 6 but not your usual fare from the time when Stanley and Record pusued the diy market and seemed to abandon quality control. This one is in great condition and about 20 years ago I lapped the sole which now has only 1 1/2 thousandths of an inch convexity over its length https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1746

All prroceeds going to Ovarian Cancer Action - a great charity doing great work in an under-invested area of cancer research, so if you fancy any of these please bid generously.

Jim

OCA is a great charity doing great work so if you fancy either of these, please bid generously.

Good for you.

For those who have less valuable, but still serviceable/repairable tools they can be donated to 'Tools for Self Reliance' or 'Tools for Life' which assemble kits for their beneficiaries - should be able to find a branch of some such in your area (and might find it rewarding to join in the refurbing - I know a nice group meets here in Sheffield at St Wifreds centre late on a Tues eve to refurbish tools for such) - I don't belong to the group myself, but have often passed on tools from myself and others.

Out of interest what makes the 289 preferable to the 78???

I know little but like to learn along the way....

Nice no6....you don't have a 5 1/2 for sale?!

Cheers James

The blade is skewed so you get more of a slicing cut which on some woods may give a better finish.

Sorry, no 5 1/2.

Jim

Out of interest what makes the 289 preferable to the 78???

I know little but like to learn along the way....

Nice no6....you don't have a 5 1/2 for sale?!

Cheers James

Endgrain cuts are cleaner, and no blowout on the back side, so rabbets or panels are clean on all sides.

Thanks starlingwood, Ovarian Cancer Action will be most grateful. I am totting up the amounts large and small - all most graefully received - and will send them the total in one go. If you PM me with your email address I will keep you in touch with progress if you woulld like that. Oh, and by the way, I really hope you enjoy the LN, it's a lovely thing. All packed up and ready to go tomorrow, snow permitting.

Jim

Cheers Jim,

I have my eyes on the Stanley No 6 too!

No, it's fine, it will come when it comes, there is no rush for me to receive it.

It's lovely to hear the money going to a good cause, its very kind of you to do be donating the sale proceeds.

Kind regards,
Kev

Thanks Kev, I'm in my late 70's and while I plan to continue woodworking for as long as I can, it makes you think what will happen to the tools when you die - most likely sold to a dealer for next to nothing - so why not sell the ones I won't use to people who will really appreciate them and do some good with the money.

I took the parcel to the post office this morning and it should be with you by 4.00 pm tomorrow.

All best,

Jim

Dear Jim,

It is lovely to hear that the plane is coming from a well-loved home. I can assure you it is coming to another well-loved home. I am 38 and just starting out in woodwork on a hobby basis. It will be well-loved, I am very excited to receive it actually, it will be my first LN tool. I made a couple of swords from ash for my young sons at the weekend and I could have done with it then as there was a bit of difficult grain. I plan to make many things and see this getting lots of use.
Kind regards
Kev

Dear Kev,

It's good to hear of younger people taking up woodworking, don't let fear of failure inhibit your ambition - there is always help out there. I started serios w/w when I retired at 57 and it has been a very rewarding hobby. If you are interested in seeing some of my work you can find some on my daughter's phootoblog hereGirafferacing's Furniture Posts — PhotoBlog

All best,

Jim

Hope so too! I'm sure it will be a great addition and charity too. What's not to like!
Now to learn how to keep the thing from getting blocked blocked blocked

I'm now selling some more great tools in aid of Ovarian Cancer Action, as follows:

1 Record 0113 Compass plane Record No 0113 Compass or Circular Plane | eBay

2 Holtey replacement blade for Stanley/Record planes Holtey replacement blade for Stanley or Record planes 2 3/8 inches wide, unused | eBay

3 Blue Spruce marking knife Blue Spruce marking/scribing tool | eBay

4 Victor replacement blade for Stanley/Record plane https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174652718216

5 Clifton 550 concave spokeshave https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174653178744

6 Lie Nielsen bronze edge plane https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174652798313

All except the first, which ends on Sunday, start this evening.

Auctions so far have, very gratifyingly raised over £750 so it would be good to break £1000 with this batch.

Happy viewing,

Jim

Last edited:
Back