Hand tool technique videos online - found a couple more

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
For those folks who don't frequent WoodCentral, or might have missed the link anyway, there are some rather interesting, albeit short, video clips here which may be of interest. Topics are Planing (wooden planes), Veneering (get out you glue pot), Inlaying (scratch stock and so forth) and Dovetailing (drawer front, pins first).

Cheers, Alf

Nice link Alf! Informative videos.

I thought that cutting those tails looked too easy -- until he mentioned he was using pine. :roll:

Thanks Alf.

Very interesting. I know it's edited, but those dovetails were fast.....I'd be still setting the cutting guage to the exact measurement :?

Cheers

Howard

Found a couple more on sharpening chisels and scrapers, which aren't bad. Using waterstones freehand and a hollow grind on the chisels, btw. You might also want to have a quick goof at the "SPECIAL FEATURE: Hand-Tools Expert John de Marchi" link at the bottom. Wish those pics were bigger. =P~

Cheers, Alf

And here is one to use only if you are not on dial-up or simply have lots of time.

This is George Huron's website. It doesn't go directly to the video. You'll need to click the link 'Dovetail Video'.

Lacks the pace of Lowe's example--which can be a good thing.

George Huron's dovetail video

Mike

For kicks there's also this Japanese site:
http://www.iot.ac.jp/building/wbt_daiku ... mokiji.htm
Just click here and there and you should be able to figure out how to navigate. In each section on the left there's an audio file that explains something in Japanese. In the middle there are arrows (<>) to advance to the next picture, and when applicable, on the right of the screen there's a video screen that you can click on to see a video. Some of them are actually quite good. When you want to go back to the main menu, you click on the book.

sxlalan":1nvr7o4g said:
Great links. Anyone know where to buy a marking knife similar to the one shown in the Spring Harvest clips (eg here)?

Cheers

Alan

Hope I'm looking at the right thing, Axminster have a very similer japanese one...

384008_l.jpg

sxlalan":3grat30e said:
Great links. Anyone know where to buy a marking knife similar to the one shown in the Spring Harvest clips (eg here)?
Cheers
Alan
Hi Alan,

The one I see on the link is in the chisel roll...correct? If so, it is from Lee Valley:

LV marking knife

Do watch out in case the amount shown is in US dollars as I pasted the link from my browser.

I have one and use it for much marking. I also use some Japanese ones I purchased from Woodcraft some time back. They still show them, but there is no link to add them to the cart, so they may be phasing them out.

This is what they look like:
web445big.jpg

The tips are long, thin and hold an edge. Great for marking DTs. The squares are good too...

Thanks guys ... though given my apparent eye sight (I'd had what I thought was a good look through the Axminster site before posting) perhaps I should stay away from sharp objects :oops:

Alan

MikeW":12juwtrs said:
And here is one to use only if you are not on dial-up or simply have lots of time.

This is George Huron's website. It doesn't go directly to the video. You'll need to click the link 'Dovetail Video'.

Lacks the pace of Lowe's example--which can be a good thing.

George Huron's dovetail video

Mike

Whoa! Those are big files! The dovetail video is 45mb and the tenon video is 95mb. I'm downloading them now so that I can watch them at home.

Thanks for the sharing the links everybody!

bugbear":23jc6gik said:
Whoa! Those are big files! The dovetail video is 45mb and the tenon video is 95mb.

What are the filenames? The DT one I can see is around 10Mb.

BugBear

You have do to a "view source" on the page that contains the link to find the file names.

Just click on these links to download the files:

http://www.springharvestfww.com/images/Tenon.mpg
http://www.springharvestfww.com/images/dovetail.mpg

When you get the popup that says "save, run, cancel" just save the file.

Are both of the links not working for you? The "dovetail" link should have had dovetail spelled with a lowercase d. If you still can't access the files, I can throw them up on my website for you.

woodshavings":3f14krwc said:
played the dovetail video directly from the springharvest website ..
worked fine for me

Yeah, the work fine from the site. I was just posting the direct links in case folks wanted to download them for later viewing.

Latest posts

Back