Hand tool steels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Modernist

Established Member
Reaction score
Yet again we see a thread from a disappointed user of, in this case, Japanese chisels. It is easy to assume that after tens if not hundreds of years of development the metallurgy is sorted out. The metallurgy is but the application is still widely misunderstood.

There are now 3 camps, A2, O1 and laminated. They all work superbly in their specific environment but most of us use our tools across a range of applications which is where the problems start.

To start in the middle, good quality carbon steel chisels, such as Ashley Isles and others, will take and hold a keen edge at 30 deg honing angle 25 deg grinding and resist damage under a mallet. Frankly this is all anyone actually needs in a chisel and you can spend less for progressively worse performance or aesthetics. If you would prefer a keener edge at the expense of robustness then laminated Japanese is the way to go. For paring chisels there is no argument but since the hardness is at the limit of carbon steel metallurgy then a small error in manufacture can make them unusable for bench chisels owing to brittleness. If you are lucky you can avoid this but you will be paying a hefty price for the privilege. A2 has a tendency to crumble at honing angles <32 deg and IMHO has no place in chisel manufacture where edge quality is all and abrasive wear is not really an issue.

For planes the situation is different. Certainly O1 has carved a place in history and is fine for normal work in the millions of Records and Stanleys in use. A2 will certainly offer longer edge retention and has real advantages for abrasive timber. The obvious application is York and higher pitch planes for difficult work. For low angle work A2 is not the best choice as honing angles are limited and O1 will give a keener edge (and at a lower cost). I have never had any problems with my A2 LN 4 1/2 but that is used only for smoothing, not heavy shock work. Thicker blades work better and these are readily available in O1 at reasonable cost from the likes of Quangsheng. Laminated blades are available for planes but suffer from the same limitations as chisels and will be slower to sharpen.

In all cases effective sharpening is crucial and there are a plethora of alternatives to choose from. Many work but the finished result needs to be >= 8000 grit to be really sharp. Personally I put up with the mess and use a range of waterstones from 1000-8000. I find this effective for all 3 types of blade and it is not difficult to keep the stones flat if incorporated into the regular sharpening regime.

I don't think it is a case of either/or, rather a personal choice based on anticipated usage. It is nice to have a "range to choose from" to borrow a phrase from our friend Alf.

Hello,

that has been a good summary. Not too complex, on a practical level... Unfortunately, the marketing dept. never sleeps... Some talk and write about simple handtools as they were something like Jesus on water. The main drawback and danger of DIY woodworking is the simple fact, that one gets no proper education in the scientific and technical background of the craft. In some cases it is harmless, as a snapped chisel corner is not a big thing, but using machinery and electric handtools without knowing and understanding what is going on... :shock:

Have a nice day,

János

The choice of modern O1, A2 and laminated Japanese blades is far from all we have. But it is all that most woodies know about.

In addition to the above we have the vintage steels (usually W1) as well as HSS (M2), the latter used in lathe tools but increasingly coming onto the woodwork workplace. HSS blades are available from Mujinfang, were available here in Australia, and are now to be sold by Lee Valley.

There is a world of steel out there that would blow your mind! Most of these alloys are well known to knifemakers. Now a few are being used for plane and chisel blades. I have some, and have been experimenting with them for several months.

In particular, D2, CPM 3V, CPM 10V and CPM M4.

T5.jpg

I explained this way to a few at the recent Perth LN Handtool Event, where I was chopping dovetails ...

The Stanley 750s I was using are probably made from W1 (water quenching high carbon steel). Let's say that I can use one for 20 minutes in Jarrah before it needs to be re-honed. If the chisel was made from A2 (as are the LN versions), this edge would last 1 hour. Now if it were CPM 3V, re-honing would only be needed after 2-3 hours. Bump this up to 5 hours for HSS (M2) .... but the advantage of 3V over M2 is that it can be ground and honed at 25 degrees, while M2 needs 30 degrees. The same chisel made of M4 steel would last about 8 hours. And if you had one in 10V you could go 16 hours!!!!

20 minutes versus 16 hours before resharpening! (OK, settle down Jacob :) ).

Here are three 3/4" chisels I have made up for testing the steel ..

T2.jpg

From the top, 3V, M4 and 10V

Now the next issue is what does it take to get an edge on these steels? I mean, there is no point unless they get sharp as sharp can be, and do this easily. I am , for one, not going to bother with a blade that is an effort.

The fact is that steel types are not the same. When we refer to "durability" we are referring to abrasion resistance. The more abrasion resistant a steel, the more it will resist dulling. Of course this means that it will also resist sharpening! The short story is that you cannot expect to hone M4 (or even A2) on an oil stone! ( :lol: :lol: :lol: ). I have used Pro Shaptons for some years now, but these Super Steels laugh at it. The Pro Shapton 1000 will cut, but does it slowly. The 5000 and 12000 have little impact in abraiding these steels. So what works?

Diamond paste. With this it is as easy as anything. I purchased cheap oil-based diamond paste on eBay. I was using it on plates made from old saw blades. These worked but not great as the steel is too hard to bed in the diamonds. Recently I made a couple of honing plates from the caste iron of old Stanley planes. Here is one ..

Diamondpasteplate1.jpg

Used a cut-off saw to get the pieces square, then an angle grinder to sever them at the waist. Built a box around the iron, and fixed it in place with car body filler. Sealed up the bottom and stuck on sand paper to act as non-slip.

Made two of these so far, one for 10 micron and the other for 0.5 micron oil-based paste. The one below is from a #4 and has dimensions of 60mm x 148mm (roughly 2 3/8" x 5 7/8"). This is easily large enough for freehanding both chisel and plane blades.

It was amazing how quickly the back of a M4 blade was lapped on 10 micron paste. It was also interesting that I could go directly to 0.5 micron on the second plate, and bring the side to a mirror shine in a dozen strokes (on a hollow grind). The result was a razor sharp edge that went through endgrain Tasmanian oak like a hot knife through butter and left a shiny surface behind.

Are we looking at the future of woodworking tools? I know some manufacturers that are seriously considering going there.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Oh wow!

Now THAT is a fantastic tip!

Just when I thought of a life settling down from more methods of sharpening....

Oh well...now I just need a few old bodies to break up into plates...Sunday...bootfair...watch out!

Off to search FleaBay for some diamond paste...!!!

Cheers mate...another fine antipodean tip!

Jim

Jim,

I've been using diamond paste for some time on my super hard blades. I use Corian as a substrate, which is pretty good but I have recently asked on a US forum if anyone has tried both cast iron and Corian and found someone who has. Apparently, cast iron is better. I can certainly vouch for the fact that most water stones won't touch these very hard blades although I have just acquired some SIGMA Select II stones which are said to do the job, but haven't yet tried them. The reason I bought them is that switching backwards and forwards between diamonds and water stones is a pain (oil and water) and I don't want to faff around making cast iron plates if I can find a viable water based alternative. I'll let you know my conclusions.

Going back to the beginning of this thread, I do think Japanese blades are much less of a lottery than suggested. My experience is that the tendency of edges to crumble is rare and then restricted to the end mm or two of the blade which has been overheated. If that is ground away the problem goes with it.

Jim

I did the diamond paste thing for a bit a few years ago, but the right substrate eluded me, and I eventually gave it up as a hopeless cause. Cast iron was recommended by Bill Tindall (iirc?) on the WoodCentral forum (he and another chap who's name eludes me got into these super steels very early on), but I didn't fancy destroying a plane for the purpose at the time. Luckily Derek posted this elsewhere just before a couple of defunct plane bodies were binned, so I rescued them again and now just need to find the tuit. Well, when I say "just", you know what I mean. 'Course, as it stands I don't actually have any steel that requires it, but there does seem to be a bit of a breeze blowing in that direction so it's probably only a matter of time before curiosity gets the better of me. Again. #-o

Hello,

Huh, that has been a heavy swing, from simple tool steels to high alloy steels, and to specialty grades. The start was a basic and easily comprehensible summary of basic/general groups of steels used for hand woodworking chisels and plane irons. Not more, nor less. That is what you need to avoid getting mesmerized by marketing.

How it turned into a discussion on high performance specialty steels, I do not understand fully. But these steels are VERY PRICEY in themselves, difficult to fabricate and machine, and, as you have mentioned, dear Derek, very hard to sharpen. And "durabilyty" is not simply abrasion resistance, the impact resistance and edge holding ability of steels are more important factors. And some of these "supersteels" are not too impact resistant, not the best stuff for chisels, or for plane blades used on knotty hardwoods.

I made very good woodworking blades from chrome steel automotive leaf springs, and simple Uddeholm UD75 steel. I was able to make them at my simple shop, without help from NASA or something. I do not think that this is a plausible way forward... European cabinetmakers were capable to produce extremely high quality furniture from hardwoods, like bog oak, ebony or lignum vitae, with handforged carbon steel blades in tools you might call quite "rustic". The tools of today are much more "user friendly" than anything produced in the past, and the way forward -from a craft perspective- is not the production of unaffordable supertools, but the production of decent handtools at affordable prices for cratsmen and amateurs alike.

But that is my stance on the theme...

Have a nice day,

János

The choice of modern O1, A2 and laminated Japanese blades is far from all we have. But it is all that most woodies know about.

In addition to the above we have the vintage steels (usually W1) as well as HSS (M2), the latter used in lathe tools but increasingly coming onto the woodwork workplace. HSS blades are available from Mujinfang, were available here in Australia, and are now to be sold by Lee Valley.

There is a world of steel out there that would blow your mind! Most of these alloys are well known to knifemakers. Now a few are being used for plane and chisel blades. I have some, and have been experimenting with them for several months.

In particular, D2, CPM 3V, CPM 10V and CPM M4.

T5.jpg

I explained this way to a few at the recent Perth LN Handtool Event, where I was chopping dovetails ...

The Stanley 750s I was using are probably made from W1 (water quenching high carbon steel). Let's say that I can use one for 20 minutes in Jarrah before it needs to be re-honed. If the chisel was made from A2 (as are the LN versions), this edge would last 1 hour. Now if it were CPM 3V, re-honing would only be needed after 2-3 hours. Bump this up to 5 hours for HSS (M2) .... but the advantage of 3V over M2 is that it can be ground and honed at 25 degrees, while M2 needs 30 degrees. The same chisel made of M4 steel would last about 8 hours. And if you had one in 10V you could go 16 hours!!!!

20 minutes versus 16 hours before resharpening! (OK, settle down Jacob :) ).

Here are three 3/4" chisels I have made up for testing the steel ..

T2.jpg

From the top, 3V, M4 and 10V

Now the next issue is what does it take to get an edge on these steels? I mean, there is no point unless they get sharp as sharp can be, and do this easily. I am , for one, not going to bother with a blade that is an effort.

The fact is that steel types are not the same. When we refer to "durability" we are referring to abrasion resistance. The more abrasion resistant a steel, the more it will resist dulling. Of course this means that it will also resist sharpening! The short story is that you cannot expect to hone M4 (or even A2) on an oil stone! ( :lol: :lol: :lol: ). I have used Pro Shaptons for some years now, but these Super Steels laugh at it. The Pro Shapton 1000 will cut, but does it slowly. The 5000 and 12000 have little impact in abraiding these steels. So what works?

Diamond paste. With this it is as easy as anything. I purchased cheap oil-based diamond paste on eBay. I was using it on plates made from old saw blades. These worked but not great as the steel is too hard to bed in the diamonds. Recently I made a couple of honing plates from the caste iron of old Stanley planes. Here is one ..

Diamondpasteplate1.jpg

Used a cut-off saw to get the pieces square, then an angle grinder to sever them at the waist. Built a box around the iron, and fixed it in place with car body filler. Sealed up the bottom and stuck on sand paper to act as non-slip.

Made two of these so far, one for 10 micron and the other for 0.5 micron oil-based paste. The one below is from a #4 and has dimensions of 60mm x 148mm (roughly 2 3/8" x 5 7/8"). This is easily large enough for freehanding both chisel and plane blades.

It was amazing how quickly the back of a M4 blade was lapped on 10 micron paste. It was also interesting that I could go directly to 0.5 micron on the second plate, and bring the side to a mirror shine in a dozen strokes (on a hollow grind). The result was a razor sharp edge that went through endgrain Tasmanian oak like a hot knife through butter and left a shiny surface behind.

Are we looking at the future of woodworking tools? I know some manufacturers that are seriously considering going there.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Good explanation Derek!

Could one use chromium oxide paste instead of diamond paste?

What about chipping of the edge on those very hard steels?

What about using some flat planed hardwood instead of the cast iron plate?
If the wood loses its flatness, a few strokes with a no6 will get it flat again.
The wood is even softer than the cast iron plate.

Are we looking at the future of woodworking tools?

I think we are. If these very tough steels can be sharpened easily(which they can with diamond paste) and low cost, then definitely yes.

I wonder how much quicker it would be to grind a bevel with diamond
paste vs a wheel(alu ox or zirconia).

Ali

If the wood loses its flatness, a few strokes with a no6 will get it flat again.

Hi Ali

If by chromium oxide paste you are referring to the green honing compounds (such as sold by LV), then it does work. However I have only used it for stropping the wire edge as it comes in 0.5 microns only.

Chipping of edges is, so far, completely absent. I was chopping with the M4 chisel today into a very hard gum. It just kept going.

Years ago, when I first experimented with diamond paste, I used planed hardwood. It worked ... everything "works" to some extent. However it was not satisfactory as the wooden surface wear and the diamonds wear away with it. The ideal honing plate will have a surface that is just soft enough to bed the diamonds firmly and hard enough to resist being worn away.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Ali

If by chromium oxide paste you are referring to the green honing compounds (such as sold by LV), then it does work. However I have only used it for stropping the wire edge as it comes in 0.5 microns only.

Chipping of edges is, so far, completely absent. I was chopping with the M4 chisel today into a very hard gum. It just kept going.

Years ago, when I first experimented with diamond paste, I used planed hardwood. It worked ... everything "works" to some extent. However it was not satisfactory as the wooden surface wear and the diamonds wear away with it. The ideal honing plate will have a surface that is just soft enough to bed the diamonds firmly and hard enough to resist being worn away.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thnx for the reply Derek.

Ok, so would( I mean wood) is less ideal.

One would only need 1piece of cast iron as there are two sides.
One side for sharpening and the other for polishing. Makes sense
right?

Yes I meant the green compound, but was assuming there were other grits
as well.Is 0.5 micron the only available chromium oxide paste? Chromium
oxide would be much cheaper, but I don't know if it would be quick and
give the ultimate sharpness that diamond paste does.

What does one use to embed those diamond particles in the cast iron
plate?

Regards from the Hague

Ali

Hi Ali

Diamond paste is very cheap. Cheaper than green honing compound. I bought a few syringes on eBay of 4 grades: 40, 10, 1 and 0.5 microns. You can get oil- or waterbased pastes.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Interesting subject - where does cyrogenic hardening fit into this topic.

Karl Holtey sells S 53 Blades:

"These blades are made from powder metallurgical steel, which has basically the same characteristics as the A2. Tests have shown that the edge will last several times longer than the A2 blades, saving even more down time.
The blades are treated in a vacuum furnace to a high temperature to achieve a hardness of HRC64, they are also triple tempered and cryogenically treated. "

Rod

All very interesting stuff. One of the reasons for more durable blades it seems is to reduce the down time for sharpening, is this really an issue for amateurs. If I have to take 5 minutes out of a 3 hour planing session does that matter, I am not even sure it would worry a professional shop. I think sometimes, me included, we do things for the sake of it. I am all for progress and I love the science. Buy the way I always sharpen any tools I have used before I put them away.

I'm delighted this thread has opened up so much interest and impressed by the new information that has come to light (thanks Derek)

It rather takes away from my original point that new starters or nursery slopers need some basic information about what will do what for the pounds spent in the absence of the feverish marketing in which it is often enshrouded.

One topic which is very important to the user, perhaps more so than durability, is sharpness and here 01 and W1 take some beating. I have never achieved as good an edge on A2 and HSS is also poorer in this respect.

For me I find Marples blue chip fine for general joinery with a mallet, Ashley Isles for fine, mainly hand work because of their thin sections and my Fujikawa Japanese paring chisel takes the best edge I have ever achieved on an 8000 water stone. I have just received a set of Narex 8882 mortice chisels which appear excellent although it is still early days. All are appropriate and a joy to use in their own fields and I am not convinced that we need to go further for furniture making, although it would be stupid to ignore technical innovations.

Just off to cut some halving joints in old scaffold boards to make some deep beds for the garden. I shan't be using the Fujikawa :D

Modernist":x0ntm4nt said:
my Fujikawa Japanese paring chisel takes the best edge I have ever achieved
+1...they, and all of MrF's other professional range, take a fantastic edge (and hold it) - Rob

Back