Hand tool poll

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do hand tools figure in your woodworking?

• Use hand tools and nothing else

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Use power tools and machines, never tried hand tools

• Use power tools and machines, tried hand tools but it went badly so reluctant to try again

• Use power tools and machines, used hand tools in the past but no longer

• Use hand tools and power tools, whatever is appropriate for the task

• Total voters

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Prompted by the "End Grain" article in the newest edition of GWW, which seems to suggest that the use of hand tools is a dying art, I wondered what members' own experience with them was? Not too many die-hard Neanderthals I'm thinking, but any all-out Normites who avoid using so much as a chisel? Please cast your vote and comment if you so desire. Not done a poll before, so I hope I've managed to cover the main options okay. :?

Cheers, Alf

From a professional perspective it is completely impossible to rule out the use of hand tools on almost any work (OK, I'll exempt shopfitters - hold-on though, even they use hammers....) just as it would be suicide to attempt woodworking for a living without using power tools, the only exceptions I know of are possibly Windsor chair makers, hurdle makers (both coppice crafts) and French polishers. Any thoughts on this?

Scrit

Nice 1 Alf :wink: I would hazzard a guess that the least used hand tool is a Plane amongst DIY'ers and maybe a few professionals but I doubt it ?

I donno about least used..... but goin by posts I've seen both here and elsewhere, hand planes are probably the least understood.

I am just a hobbyist woodworker but have to say that my preference is to use hand tools wherever possible. Power tools can be good to get over the motononous / repetitive tasks but Ive never derived the type of satisfaction from using power tools that I do from using handtools and I feel more in control of these than the electrically driven scream machines.
MMD.

Frank....
if that meat grinder gives you what you're looking for, I'm happy for you. I tried one... once... hasn't been outa the tool drawer in over 2 years. You oughta give one a try someday, the results are second to none; free work out too.
:wink:

Well so far the results are rather interesting and yet, at the same time, boring. :lol: Either the membership of this forum solely consists of well-balanced woodworkers happily at home with both table saw and shoulder plane, or everyone's idea of "when appropriate" varies quite a bit. Hmm, I might have a think about how to fine tune that particular question possibly into a follow-up poll. It does seem to suggest that the original theory in the article is a false one though; hand tools live! :D
Midnight":36jz6o9a said:
I donno about least used..... but goin by posts I've seen both here and elsewhere, hand planes are probably the least understood.
Mike, I think you've hit the nail on- sorry- fired the brad with the nail gun there. Especially if Frank's anything to go by! :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Mike, I think you've hit the nail on- sorry- fired the brad with the nail gun there. Especially if Frank's anything to go by!

<shudders...

nasty things..... never touch em....

A better question in terms of gauging the members would be

To create a rebate.....

"Would you use a router, or a rebate plane?"

That would give an idea how much of a Galoot they are.

A_L

asleitch

To that I would reply "depends on whether I had electricity near me or not". Because at times its easier to do it with hand tools than muck about setting up extensions to your workplace.

Drew
Who remembers the bad old days on the sites. :wink:

......Rebate Plane?.....is that where the pilot gets p...ed and they end up giving you your money back? :lol:

Seriously, I think many of the "how to become a woodworker" type books and magazines have a lot to answer for as they seem to focus more on using powertools that using handtools.

Maybe one good piece of advice would be to suggest that budding woodworkers (and I include myself in this group) look to purchase second hand books that show the use of handtools?

I inherited a stanley rebate and stanley plough(?) plane from my Dad still in their original boxes. They must 40 years old and in the 10 years I've had them they've never been used in anger mainly because it's just as quick to put a cutter in the router than it is to set up the planes.

However, I do have a Stanley block plane that gets chucked around my toolbox that sees plenty of use.

Col

Col":1dekt0gb said:
I inherited a stanley rebate and stanley plough(?) plane from my Dad still in their original boxes. They must 40 years old and in the 10 years I've had them they've never been used in anger mainly because it's just as quick to put a cutter in the router than it is to set up the planes.
S'cuse me while I just go and sob quietly in a corner would you? :cry:

Cheers, Alf

"I inherited a stanley rebate and stanley plough(?) plane from my Dad still in their original boxes. They must 40 years old and in the 10 years I've had them they've never been used in anger mainly because it's just as quick to put a cutter in the router than it is to set up the planes."

Well, why not sell them. If you haven't used them in a decade - it's unlikely you'll ever use them, why not let put them up for sale?

you guys got me thinking about what I'd actually got so I've had a dig around at the back of the cupboard and fished the boxes out (which are made from substantial cardboard)

I discovered that the "Plough" plane is a Stanley #50 whilst the Rebate plane is a Woden #W78.

I've never heard of Woden and am interested to know if this is an early "Ferm" or is it more of a "Dewalt" in terms of hand tools?

I don't expect a reply until after Boxing day as I'm sure like me, you will have already all broken out the Xmas cheers.

Cherry Mishmash to you awl :lol:

ColG":rg3456jh said:
I've never heard of Woden and am interested to know if this is an early "Ferm" or is it more of a "Dewalt" in terms of hand tools?
Ah, Woden... The W78 is my own duplex rebate of choice, even though the wooden knob is really not much use. If you scroll down to the bottom of this page you can read the results of obsession with this plane. (Yes, I am that fellow fan. :oops: ) I'd say a DeWalt myself, nay even a Festool perhaps? Woden made some excellent vices too. If I wasn't suffering the after effects of Christmas I'd go link mad on them, but I may return to this again later - if I remember, and if you care :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf

Hope you had a good xmas. Thanks for the info, perhaps I should resist using my router for a while and have a proper play with these planes - who knows, I might become a convert.

Brilliant website - you obviously have a passion for planes and quality ones at that.

Cheers

Col

Col

Just remember to set the iron so it has zero projection out of the work side and work progressively backwards from the far end of the work. There is a knack to it, but once you master it you'll be surprised at how quickly you can rebate.

BTW the Woden had only one real competitor, the Record 778. The fact that there are two fence rods makes it a lot less prone to the fence flexing (at least in may hands - I CAN flex a 78 fence with relatively little effort)

Scrit

Back