Hand tool opportunities in Central London?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hello
I'm new to this forum, it really is excellent.

I'll be in central London for a week next April, and as a serious hand tool user, I am interested in finding places to view, touch and buy wooden planes. Beads, flutes, moving filister, a good plow plane w/ blades, maybe some H&R's.

Smaller sizes for funiture and cabinet work.

Dealers in London and/or 2 hours by train away would be my preference.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Gary Miller

Sounds like Suffolk is your best bet; 2 in ipswich, 2 in Needham market.

BugBear (on the Norfolk/Suffolk border)

The two in Needham market are not much good for the casual visitor with a serious interest in hand tools.

Roy Arnold has almost no tools now and concentrates on books - of which he has a lot that may well be of interest.

Tony Murland has only a few not very exciting tools in his shop now and concentrates on his auctions - he will get tools into the shop by prior arrangement I believe.

The international auction he organises is well attended by many folk including overseas visitors like Pat Leach et al. The car park ahas a good selection of old tool dealers on those occasions too.

waterhead37":2shzqbgu said:
Roy Arnold has almost no tools now and concentrates on books - of which he has a lot that may well be of interest.
Mike Hancock is taking over his premises as a showroom it seems. Dunno if that'll include any old tools though; might be worth giving Mike a call.

Cheers, Alf

That is very interesting - I believe Mike used to work with Tony but parted over a difference of views on the relative mportance of new tool sales in the business.

Back