Hand Stitched Rasps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a look at Noel Liogier's site to see a video of their manufacture.
This was posted by Noel in an earlier post:
"As regards the sharpness of the teeth, I don't expect that you notice a difference before many years of intensive use... as long as you store them safely."
I had my rasps for several years now and have not noticed any deterioration.

Rod

woodbrains":38e5scrf said:
What sort of life expectancy should we see from a good rasp? Obviously they cannot be resharpened, but surely the stitches cannot last for ever.
Mike.
They can, apparently. I spoke to Matt about this and he mentioned that you immerse them in Ferrric Chloride(?..could be the wrong stuff :duno: ) and this is supposed to put the edge back on the teeth. I haven't a clue how this works...maybe someone more rasp savvy can elucidate? - Rob

Hi.

Ferric chloride makes sense; it would give the steel a 'chemical etch' which would sort of sharpen the teeth. Would have to research the concentration of the solution and how long immersion should be, though. Hopefully we will have to wait a long time to find out.

Mike.

In layman's terms, is a "chemical etch" meaning it will eat away a little of the metal revealing fresh new material? I ghuess it will also dissolve any material caught up in the rasp as well?

I'm pretty sure the makers wouldn't endorse this... but I've heard Corro-dip used to restore metal files. My guess would be it removes material at a molecular level and may therefore restore sharpness. But I have to say I wouldn't risk it on hand-stitched rasps.
Re life expectancy, Noel's 'Traditional' should last many years of normal use. For a modest extra cost his Sapphire are worth a look if you are working very hard woods every day. The Sapphire hardness measures 3800 Vickers (says so on the site!)... a typical quality plane / chisel is around 800 Vickers (62 Rc).
It was a shame the pass-round went missing as Rod was all set to do a before and after test re sharpness, but I use mine a lot now and see no sign of deterioration at all (an occasional wash to remove resin deposits is a good trick though).

It definitely says on the Liogier website that all is needed is a regular brushing and that submerging them in any form of acid will cause the metal to slowly decay.

It also makes the good observation that due to the manufacturing process the thinnest and therefore weakest part most susceptible to damage will be the edges of the teeth.

To me this makes it sound that submerging them won't actually prolong the life of the rasp, could even shorten it.

James C":3mxo3iue said:
To me this makes it sound that submerging them won't actually prolong the life of the rasp, could even shorten it.
Probably best to wait until the alternative is to bin the files/rasps.

Cheers, Vann.

I took the plunge with a number 4 200mm (8") Continental Hand Stitched Rasp from WH.

Rob is right, the Liogier is more expensive. I will get my rasp for around £38 including delivery. Where as the Liogier comes in around £55.

I guess £17 isn't a lot but its money I can spend on something else.

Back