Hand-stitched rasps ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liogier

Established Member
Reaction score
Being a newcomer in this forum, I'll introduce myself shortly : we are a family of rasps maker, hand-cut.
We wonder if in UK people know about hand-stitched rasps? Is there any such producer in UK ?

A hearty welcome Noel.
Yes, we are indeed familiar with the wonderful rasps available from France. Principially Monsieur Auriou's, though I also have some of yours from Gaignard Millon - particularly fond of my fine sage leaf rasp.
Cheers
Steve

Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no hand stitched rasp maker left in UK, isn't it ?
Does this implies that some specific UK shapes of rasps are no longer available ?

PS : if someone is curious about how hand made rasps are produced, there is a 5 min video on my website showing that.

Cannot think of any rasps that are made in the UK - know of French and Chinese ones only?
I get by with some cabinet makers, half round, modellers, Rats Tail and a curved one I bought from Gramercy (saw-handle rasp). Oh and a few Rifflers.
Salaman also mentions Gunstocker's, Last Maker's, Saddle Tree Maker's and a Baker's Bread rasp?

Just watched the video - amazing skills - long may they continue.
I have not tried one of yours, but if they perform as good as the Auriou's they are well worth the money.

Rod

Wow, that's a lot of exciting new names of rasps for me ! Do you know where could I find some descriptions (pictures, drawings, etc.) that could help me understand their specifications and use ?

PS : as regards the quality of my rasps compared to Auriou's, I have my opinion on which ones are the best - but me telling this won't convince you, I can imagine. If you have amongst your community a member recognized as a "rasp expert", I will be happy to send him one of his choice for a comparative review.

I am sure I could arrange a "pass around" with any members interested here - its been done with other things in the past?

"Dictionary of Woodworking Tools" by R A Salaman is published by Astragal Press.

If you cannot get hold of a copy I can try and scan the relevant pages - that's if I'm not breaking any copyright rules?

Rod

Soyez le bienvenu et félicitations pour un excellent site internet. La vidéo est très intéressante. Félicitations en plus pour l’effort que vous avez fait d’écrire en anglais – je sais que ce n’est pas facile !

Steve

excuse me asking, but I would be very keen to borrow a pass-around for a few days if possible??? I have a tricky chair coming up with no straight lines anywhere, but really I'd just like to test one.

Stick me down for a pass-around too! Or I could just check it out when you get it Douglas...always assuming one gets passed around!

They look superb Liogier.....I use my rasps quite a bit as I tend to make fairly exotic shapes at times in restorations and tool making...

I started using them on guitar necks...wonderful for the initial shaping!

Welcome by the way!

Jim

Something I've not seen before - which may be of interest to Jim - some of these rasps are available in a left-handed version!

Hi Noel and welcome from me too.

I've tried one of the rasps you specifically make for Cremona Tools store and I think that they are very sharp and they work very well.
As far as I know and correct me if I'm wrong, they are not sanded, so they look ugly, but them are sharper then the sanded ones.
Unfortunately they are non yet on their web-store.

Liogier":4cxlk9dm said:
PS : as regards the quality of my rasps compared to Auriou's, I have my opinion on which ones are the best - but me telling this won't convince you, I can imagine. If you have amongst your community a member recognized as a "rasp expert", I will be happy to send him one of his choice for a comparative review.

I read a sort of comparison between a your rasp and an Auriou one here:
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f152/rasp ... st-141118/

Furthermore, as far as I know and correct me again if I'm wrong, your rasps are fully hardened, while the Auriou ones are just case hardened.

I understand that you do not want to express an opinion regarding the Auriou rasps, but can you tell us which are the objective differences between your products?

Best regards from Italy,
Andrea

@ Rod :
Yes, it would be nice of you to send me a scan of all these relevant pages of Salaman's book.

Let me known also an address where I can ship the "pass around" sample so you, Douglas, Jim, Steve (perfect french speaking btw), Andy, (others ?) can do the test. Unless you disagree, I will produce for this test a quite "common use" rasps, let say a Cabinet Markers 8", stitching grain n°11 ?

@ Andrea
Hello Signora,
Yes, I have produced one special series for Alessandro Tossani from Cremona Tools without sand-blasting. He was thinking that this last cleaning operation could slightly reduce the bite of the teeth, and actually he was right. The bite is even better without that operation, but as you said, the rasp looks ugly, and this cannot satisfies me. So since then I am investigating to improve further my rasps by having a cleaning operation who gives perfect result withouth changing anything to the bite of the raps.

I have found a technical solution that allowed me to make 80% of the way. Once the 20% remaining will be covered, I will come to Alessandro to offer him the solution.The rasp sent to Australia that you mentionned has been cleaned with the new technique, as all are now.

As regards our very specific "secret de fabrication", I have detailled in this answer to the Australian forum what can be revealed (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f152/rasp-road-test-141118/). I hope you'll understand and excuse me, but I cannot write this down on Internet. If one day you come over to my region, I hope you'll visit us, and then we will talk.

Noel - I will pm you my address and start the "pass around".

So if anybody wants to give it a try can you please pm me with your details and I will start a list.

Thanks again Noel.

Rod

Hi,

Let's put aside the fact that I'm french also :shock: . But I own two rasps from Liogier, that I bought from a specialized shop in Paris about 2 or 3 years ago. Two cabinet maker rasps.
And they perform really well ! Once you start using a good hand stiched rasps, you wonder why you did not buy them before. There is a world of difference between them and the one you find in usual stores.

I'm planning to buy two more for Christmas :ho2 (a modeller fine and a rat tail). With a cabinet maker of reasonable size and that complement, I'll be pretty much set, for the work I do.

I hope the pass around will please you.

Regards.

PS : I own the 2 of the traditional line, never tried the other lines.

promhandicam":2qqygi5l said:
Soyez le bienvenu et félicitations pour un excellent site internet. La vidéo est très intéressante. Félicitations en plus pour l’effort que vous avez fait d’écrire en anglais – je sais que ce n’est pas facile !

Steve

Flash Git! :mrgreen:

I'd like to try one of these rasps - if only to give me an indication of which grain size is appropriate for my needs.

Latest posts

Back