Hand saws being a bit naughty........

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argus

Established Member
Reaction score

Bit of advice needed here, if I may........

I have a couple of (newish) cross-cut saws that are showing a marked tendency to cut to the left (viewed from the handle).
They start well and cut well but require an effort to keep them on the straight and narrow. If started in a cut and left to follow their own line, both wander to the left of a scribed line. Apart from their little deviations, they are very good saws.

I' not inclined to fettle hand saws because I don't want to ruin a couple of good tools by not knowing what I'm about, so I have not done anything to them since new except use them. But it looks to me like one side is cutting more than the other. To compensate, does one side need a stone? If so how much and how’s it done? Or more to the point, how not to over-do it?

Any advice is gratefully received.

Hi Argus,

lay the saw on a flat piece of wood and pull a stone (or a piece of G 400-600 sandpaper around a stone ) from the heal to the toe.

One stroke - test cut - repeat only if necessary.

Cheers
Pedder

You could try the Mike Wenzloff method to equalise the set using paper and a metal vice. Somebody posted it recently?

I would think that it would drift towards the side with more set?
Stoning that side carefully and checking frequently should work also?

Rod

Thanks to both, Rod and Pedder.

I did read the Wenzloff method, but to be honest, I couldn't understand how it worked (anyway, I'm short of a suitable vice!).

Pedder, I'm going to try the stone method. I assume that the left side (the direction of the deviation) is the one with the most agressive cut and needs the stone; is that right?

Howard in wild, windy Wales.

Argus said:
"I assume that the left side (the direction of the deviation) is the one with the most agressive cut and needs the stone; is that right?"

that is correct. even beyond this, it seems like most mass-market saw makers these days put too much set in general, aside from not getting the set even. don't be afraid to take a bit from both sides in evening things up. it'll probably make a good improvement- just don't overdo it, or you'll be learning to increase the set next. which you should plan on learning sooner or later anyway, as it's part of sharpening saws, which is part of using saws...

Just sharpened my first saw, a 7tpi 26" rip. =D>

I followed the instructions on the vintage saw site which are very thorough. Not too scary and the saw is a lot sharper than before.
Going to crack this saw sharpening business as i'm sick of terrible commercial sharpening services.

A new years resolution and it's not even December yet!

Latest posts

Back