Hand saw suggestions.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MixedHerbs

Established Member
Reaction score
Dear All,

There is a rumour of a bonus and I would like to buy a really good cross-cut handsaw. Perhaps 22 inches long (I am vertically challenged). Preferably British, though I am willing to be persuaded otherwise. Mainly to use on oak. I want a new one.

The only contender I've found so far is http://www.flinn-garlick-saws.co.uk/lynx.html

Are there any others?

Regards, Peter.

Peter

I have a PAX DT saw and am really very pleased with it. It has cross cut teeth and so i use a LN DT saw more often for the main cuts but the PAX is always used for the cross grain cuts on the sides.

You won't be dissapointed wiht the PAX

PS Ian Dalziel has the full range of them :shock:

Peter
Have a look at Axminster own brand, here..
I believe they are also made by Flinn Garlick-but are priced cheaper!! I had a look at them yesterday at the Axminster shop-they look pretty good!
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Hi Peter,
I bought the full range of their saws in a moment of madness...they are all really good although i havent used the large crosscut as yet but the rest are good...the 1776 is a beauty.

Ian

Hi Peter

How about E.T Roberts & Lee in London? (Enfield Middx.) Good balance and well made (at least my Dorchester is)

Scrit

I picked up a Roberts & Lee Parkstone (cheaper than the Dorchester) from Axminster in the special offers when they stopped them in favour of the current Victor range. The Parkstone is skew backed, taper ground 7TPI x 26inch long and cuts very nicely cross grain with minimal effort. The blade has a nice 'ring' to it. Handle is beech, not walnut like the Dorchesters. Tilgear do them now I believe. You will need to be prepared to sharpen it in time of course.
I was not impressed by the Dorchester dovetail saw in the same sale which was badly sharpened and set and was missing its medallion.

MixedHerbs":1q353o0p said:
I want a new one.

Regards, Peter.

Any reason for wanting new? Old saws are not only better value, the ultimate quality is better (except for DT saws, where I suspect the Adria and LN match anything that has gone before).

This does (admittedly) leave the dread sharpening question open.

BugBear

What about the jetcut from stanley :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink:

Andy who may get banned from the handtool section

I have just bought a dog of a spokeshave that was made by Stanley. I will not be buying anything else made by them. I suspect if I did buy a Jet Cut saw, I would use it as a starting point - make a new handle and perhaps upgrade the blade.

Why a new saw? Curiosity really, I want to see and use today's best. Also, as you say, sharpening is a problem. By the time the new saw needs sharpening, I should have learned how to do the deed properly on a few that do not really matter.

Regards, Peter.

LyNx":2zmqqa10 said:
What about the jetcut from stanley :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink:

Andy who may get banned from the handtool section
Andy-watch your step! The Handtool Police are watching :wink: :lol: Cheers
Philly :D

Latest posts

Back