Hand Saw Refurbishment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aden30mm

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of refurbishing a old dovetail saw. In removing the saw to handle securing screws, I had to cut slots to enable me to gain enough purchase to unscrew them. Now I want to obtain a few replacement brass domed saw nuts, but at £12 for a pair delivered seems a bit OTT.

Looking around the web I came across these, if they would work I would have to drill two holes to accept a peg spanner in the bolt end). But has anyone else used these? (I would use a touch of Loctite to ensure suitable locking)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solid-brass-9 ... nyrwi1N47A

Finally, the saw is 15 tpi. I am unsure how to dress the teeth as they are so small, and they do not seem to have any pitch. The saw is an old English saw 8 inch blade length. Any seer advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Aden

those screws would be easy to make work. Just put a star washer under the long nut and that will stop it turning while you tighten the screw side. You dont need excessive force to hold the handle on.

Thanks, just need to get the right length to ensure the screw bottoms out against the shake-proof washer. Being brass allows for ease of modification.

That were the £12 came from five quid for the screws and seven for p&p. Didn't think that was reasonable if you get my drift.

Thanks for the thought though.

Keep your eye open for another old saw, with concave tooth line, missing teeth, a bad kink, bad rust and a worm eaten handle held together with bits of Dexion.

Buy it for 50p and re-use the saw nuts.

BugBear

Yep, BugBear works for me, car boot would be the best way forward. See some of the fleabay prices for poor quality tools. Well I suspose everyone needs to make a living.

Latest posts

Back