Hand Router Cutters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
Very simply question,

I've decided to make my own wooden version of a Stanley 271 Router, but i've been looking around the net, and the 'bay but can't find where to buy the cutters, does anyone know where I can get these?

Also, what type of assembly should I use to hold the blade in place? I was thinking of using one of the threaded inserts and a small bolt, unless there is an easier/better way?

Byron

Sounds like you're on the slippery slope :lol: . Next thing tou know you'll be buying a Salaman's and pulling the 'leccy out of your shop. Bob Wearing included a design for an updates old woman's tooth in one of his books. I think he blacksmithed the cutters himself.

Scrit

I think i have seen some where using a large allen key with a suitable flat base and angled cut and a sort of earth rod clamp to fix it to a steel pin simple but effective .

Byron

If you go the "traditional" way with an Old Woman's Tooth the cutter can be just about anything - from a discarded thick scraper to a wooden plough plane iron. All the ones I've seen at auction seemed to be home-made like this:
OWT.jpg

many appear to have been made from pieces of handrail moulding. There is a modern German version made by both Ulmia and ECE Emmerich (then scroll down to router plane) - presumably Dieter Schmidt (?) could also sell you a set of cutters, fixings, etc if required.

Scrit

Byron,

A propane torch (£15 from Machine Mart) and a propane cylinder (as in gas BBQ) supply enough heat to do blacksmithing on small tools. You can anneal, bend, harden and temper old chisels and make cutters yourself very easily. I have made a number of carving tools (designed to do very specific jobs) this way and whilst they generally look like boot fair rejects, they perform excellently. Making cutters for a 271 would be a doddle using this method.

Thanks for all the info and links everyone, much appreciated.

I can definitly see myself getting into this tool making malarky, I have a spokeshave lined up as my next project, by the end of next year I should have a complete set of handmade tools ;-)

Waterhead, do you know of any links/sources of entry-level 'smithing that I could read up on as my knowledge of it is virtually zero, and I would like to try and make my own cutters.

ByronBlack":2fuvyw22 said:
Waterhead, do you know of any links/sources of entry-level 'smithing that I could read up on as my knowledge of it is virtually zero, and I would like to try and make my own cutters.

Byron,
The web is of course an excellent source and smithing is at least as well covered as woodworking. For books, A useful primer is "The Complete Metalsmith" by Tim McCreight ISBN 0-87192-240-1 I bought it in this country somewhere for £13.99 - at least that is what the sticker on it says.

Chris Pye's carving tool books, particularly "Woodcarving, Tools, Materials and Equipment" covers it quite well and there is "Hardening, Tempering and Heat Treatment" by Tubal Cain in the Workshop Practice series put out by Argus books - from Model Engineer mag article originally I think.

Chris

I think you will find most barbeques run on Butane which does not burn as hot as propane(orange bottle with left hand thread)

Jason

Jason,
I am sure you are right now I think about it - my BBQ is a propane fired one which caused me to use the BBQ analogy - I get the gas from caravan suppliers and the like but use it rather slowly and usually by the time I need a refill, the original supplier has gone away and I hunt round for a new one!

Latest posts

Back