Hand planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatfreddie

Reaction score
Hiya all
New to the site and initially came for guidance from the yoda 😂
I restore/fix antiques and a whole load of other things, I have just been part paid for a job in hand planes, and I am going through them and restoring them and there's some real crackers, upon googling the bejezzes out of it I came to realise the name on the blade is not always the make of the planes, and so many look alike, found a shoulder plane Edward preston..that came up nice, other stamped names are Rob sorby, Thomas ibbotson, ward and Payne plus others unmarked, have quite a few.
My question is, is there a good place to start for identifying planes such as these like a specific site/catalogue with pics obviously, as so far without knowing the name of the maker is proving quite difficult, been at this for quite a while I can tell you.
Appreciate any help
Thanks Freddie

If you have infill planes that aren't marked, it'd be a good idea to get very familiar with typical spiers, slater, norris, mathieson and preston patterns.

If any have a tented top and are especially neatly made, they may be holland and holland. Replaced irons are very common in the early planes because people actually used them (and if not replaced, often used all the way to the slot)

Ok thankyou for that, I will search those out, only four are marked out of twelve, one is a cracking coffin spiers ayr plane, rest I my be a step closer upon research now.
Cheers, Appreciated

Haha, sorry, of course what a fool am I, I was too busy making them look pretty, ive done four so far, let us just have a beer and a burn and drool and I'll get something up

Here they are 2 on left I know all the others to find

Attachments

• 20210907_183412.jpg
    20210907_183412.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 157
  • 20210907_184134.jpg
    20210907_184134.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 149
back right on the first picture is a plane-o-ayr, but you likely know that as it's probably written on the lever cap. The others are less clear (what you'd love to walk into is a bright clean brazilian rosewood spiers panel plane or earlier norris, but those usually find homes).

I can't tell what the shoulder plane is, but it looks decent. I'm no expert on them, and other than some distinctive planes made by holland and holland or norris (the distinctive norris shoulders tend to have kind of a modern look), I couldn't guess if it's slater or norris or something else.

The buns are odd on the panel planes, but that's not uncommon - some started off as odd, or were fitted where earlier planes had knobs, or are the result of a plane being dropped and the entire bun is trimmed down to get rid of the damaged area and made symmetrical.

If there's no number on the toe of the shoulder plane and nothing written on the heel, it could be tough to guess.

back right on the first picture is a plane-o-ayr, but you likely know that as it's probably written on the lever cap. The others are less clear (what you'd love to walk into is a bright clean brazilian rosewood spiers panel plane or earlier norris, but those usually find homes).

I can't tell what the shoulder plane is, but it looks decent. I'm no expert on them, and other than some distinctive planes made by holland and holland or norris (the distinctive norris shoulders tend to have kind of a modern look), I couldn't guess if it's slater or norris or something else.

The buns are odd on the panel planes, but that's not uncommon - some started off as odd, or were fitted where earlier planes had knobs, or are the result of a plane being dropped and the entire bun is trimmed down to get rid of the damaged area and made symmetrical.

If there's no number on the toe of the shoulder plane and nothing written on the heel, it could be tough to guess.
Tough for sure, I been busy with work and every time I go back it's like starting again, that Google lenses search app is brilliant at finding matches but seem to be lacking in the planes sadly, some I'll keep and use and others will be sold to reclaim some of the trade in but think I have had a better deal as they feel great in the hand (no jokes ok haha) and a pleasure to use.
There are no numbers or anything written on them, currently going through some names a member gave me, perseverance will pay off soon I hope

Latest posts

Back