hand plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonny boy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

There is currently an auction going on in ebay for an old plane and the bidding currently stands at well over £1000. I am a little in the dark where planes are concerned so can someone have a look and tell me what is special about this one please! The category it's in is woodworking.

cheers,
jon.

Mod Edit - Jonny, stuck it here, where I suppose it belongs. Noel

I don't even pretend to know the answer to this one, but someone might (Rob? You have a collection I believe? :D ). All I can say is that big hunk of rosewood as a fence and the boxwood arms do not say "cheap tool" in anyone's language. Maybe a known "rare" plough plane, but I dunno. Pretty cool though.

Cheers, Alf

you know you hone the blade with a diamond stone well this plane has a diamond blade and is gold plated :D :D 8)

frank

mudman":1xgiikmh said:
£1,420 :shock:

Bet the seller had a bit of a nice surprise there.

Did anyone ever come to any conclusions as to why this was so valuable?

Ah - Cowell & Chapman plough plane (English).... about 10 known, so I'm told....

If anyone wants one, I know where another can be had for about $4000 USD....so the price looks "reasonable".

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee":m6x49f45 said:
Ah - Cowell & Chapman plough plane (English).... about 10 known, so I'm told....
There we are; knew Rob was our best hope of an explanation. :wink:

Armed with that, I can tell you the following courtesy of BPMs:
Cowell & Chapman (Cowell, W.), 5 Pilgrim Street, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne. 1859-at least 1900.
Planemakers and ironmongers. 1899: Also auger and edge tool makers. Whilst the vast majority of planes from Cowell and Chapman are unremarkable and similar to other makers, a highly unusual bronze-bodied plough plane of quality has been noted (David Stanley Auctions; 10 Spt. 1985; Lot 296). The plane consists of a solid and well-shaped gunmetal body, depth stop and screw cap securing conventional plough irons. A rosewood closed handle is fitted. The fence is adjusted by normal type boxwood screw stems and nuts. This plane would not appear to provide any advantage in use over a conventional plough plane except perhaps some robustness.
My bold and BPM's "whilst" :p :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Back