Hand Plane vs Electric <grin>

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh 'eck, I hate these ones. If I get this wrong I'll never hear the end of it... :? I agree 100% with AG that it's nigh on impossible to tell from a picture, although it's fun to try and I appreciate the effort. And a nice glossy finish and a raking light would have been nice... However, now I've waited a week for the pics to download :p , I'll plump for the right hand one being the machined one. Seems to me I can detect some parallel lines in it that the left hand one doesn't have, although I could have been drinking, eating magic mushrooms or be just plain delusional of course. I await humiliation at your leisure :lol:

I bet you wish you'd closed those drawers before you let the planer run amok, eh? :lol:

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Nice gloat on the vice, btw.

Blimey, you must have been studying carefully - the drawers were open, but fortunately all empty. So I just have had to vac them out. They were free from work as they were being thrown out. I've used the top few rows so far for stuff like needle files, taps and dies, scalpel blades that type of stuff. The rest are empty. Waiting for me to accumulate more "stuff".

I'll try and get some better pictures tonight.

Adam

I think the left is the hand planed one because it appears that less material has been removed, the grooves are deeper. So I am thinking that you would have had to spend of lot of time to remove as much material as the electric planer with a hand plane, and seeing how much a mess you left the workbench!! you must have taken enough with the electric one hehe :wink:

Awaiting in line to be proven wrong :shock:

LEFT......for lots of obvious reasons.

Rgds

Noel

The left
No Right

aww I dont know the middle one bugrit!

Signal

the left :D now thats what a workshop should loot like :shock: knee deep in shavings

http://www.geocities.com/asleitch/wood/DSCN1551.jpg

Gill, gets it correct!

Signal gets runners up as he couldn't decide!!

Adam!

PS:

I know I know, the hand plane probably wasn't setup properly, I should have used a LN, the wood was bad, the picture wasn't good enough, a bright light was needed to really tell, it wasn't oiled, you need to feel it to really know, the focus was poor, I'm not competent etc. Well the last might be true......

If it makes you feel better, once I got a dab of oil on them the hand plane did look better, I was going to take a photo but got distracted photo- cataloging the contents of the workshop should it ever burn down or broken into..... and clearing out old hand planes, but ALF seems to have "offered" a new caring home for them......

Give me a few minutes and I'll edit the HTML code

Adam

WOHOO!

I have been thinking about this, yes I can do it :p

If the plane where to have a helical blade surely the ripples
would be far less apparent.

Signal

Urgh. I said I hated these kinds of questions. :cry:

Right, Adam. Stop taking gloating pictures of your workshop contents and feeding my c*ll*ct*r alter-ego and get that pic of it oiled up PDQ!

Anyhow, how come Signal gets glory for indecision? Surely Frank and Noel should get some for picking left but not actually saying whether they meant the left was hand planed or machine :p

Cheers, Alf

Well, so Frank and my goodself were spot on.....What's the prize then????

Rgds

Noel

Sorry guys, but the prize has already been delivered to the undisputed winner :twisted: .

Thank you Adam - most generous :) !

Yours

Gill

Oak smoked sausages and chicken..... mmmmmm :D ! Actually, I do have a smoker: it cost me £60 from one of the DIY sheds but you could easily make your own out of a metal dustbin. Mine comes into its own in barbecue season, especially with the woodshavings we've collected 8) :) .

Yours

Gill

Back