Hand Plane Tune Up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

=Adam=

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have got three hand planes at the moment, 2 number 4's and one 4 1/2.

I use one number 4 and the 4 1/2 for work and I am finding them difficult to adjust. The brass adjuster knob on the back seems to be very stiff and doesn't really adjust the cutting depth when I do get it to twist.

I find that I have to release the tension from the lever cap and then move the blade by hand.

I really have no idea when it comes to hand planes, so if there is a very good basic tutorial anywhere then that would be ideal for me!

Thanks for looking!

Do you have too much tension on the lever cap when trying to adjust it?

I would strip it all down, clean it and check for damage. If no damage, reassemble and try again.

I think I may have a bit too much tension on the lever cap... What should I be looking for in terms of damage?

Im very much new to hand planes but I read in Robert Wearings book this morning that the correct amount of lever cap tension is when you can just move the iron sideito side with your fingers.

I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable guys will be along soon

DannyEssex":ypcepp0g said:
Im very much new to hand planes but I read in Robert Wearings book this morning that the correct amount of lever cap tension is when you can just move the iron sideito side with your fingers.,,,
Much too loose.
Basically you want max pressure - some force on the lever cap but not so much that you might bend/break something.
If the adjuster isn't working perhaps strip it down and clean/oil everything, and make sure the disc on the end of the lever is engaging in the slot - they can get bent out of position.

This is what I read. ( sorry for picture, its from my phone)

Attachments

• 20140418_163244.jpg
    20140418_163244.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 1,123
I discussed the tension of the lever cap with the chap from Lie Nielson when he visited the Warrington Axminster store a couple of weeks ago. His advise was to tighten down the lever cap screw until you can just move lateral adjuster with your fingers. His view was the tighter the better. The tension stops the blade being kicked sideways when hitting a knot or hard bit of wood. When testing a plane he had set up, I could only move the lateral adjuster with my thumb! His fingers were a lot stronger than mine.

=Adam=":5z48zgtm said:
I think I may have a bit too much tension on the lever cap... What should I be looking for in terms of damage?

One place that's worth checking is the under surface of the lever cap, where it bears
down on the cap-iron. The lever cap is a casting, and is sometimes
rough.

Given that for depth and lateral adjustment you want it to slide,
rough is not what you want.

BugBear

=Adam=":1z6cqg9a said:
Hi guys!

I have got three hand planes at the moment, 2 number 4's and one 4 1/2.

I use one number 4 and the 4 1/2 for work and I am finding them difficult to adjust. The brass adjuster knob on the back seems to be very stiff and doesn't really adjust the cutting depth when I do get it to twist.

I find that I have to release the tension from the lever cap and then move the blade by hand.

I really have no idea when it comes to hand planes, so if there is a very good basic tutorial anywhere then that would be ideal for me!

Thanks for looking!

What type planes? If Bailey type, this makes me wonder if the prolem might be not in the cap-iron or the iron, but in the brass knob, the depth adjustment screw, or the yoke, or the three of them - say, badly rusted or bent parts. But then you mention you move the blade by hand... Depth-wise or lateral?

Back