Hand Plane setup, sharpening & how to plane properly - in person course

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29368

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a 3 decent hand planes and despite watching a good number of YouTube videos and getting a fair amount of practice I'm still not happy with my planes set up or my own self taught technique, (although that is improving gradually with time).

I'd love to attend a course 1 or 2 days that will cover the basics of plane set up and use.
I live in Oxfordshire, I wonder if anyone can recommend a course within say a 60 to 90 minute drive of Oxford please?
I've had a look on the internet but can't find anything around here - but I suspect I'm not looking in the right places or perhaps using incorrect search terms.

Thanks for any pointers.

(To add I'd gladly pay in beer, wine or hard currency if there's anyone in or around Oxfordshire that would be willing to show me how to set up my planes one saturday morning in the new year.)

Last edited:
Once you know how to do it it’s second nature. I was taught at school and just carried on, I feel sorry for anyone trying to learn this from YouTube, there’s so much cra- about sharpening etc when it’s relatively simple.
Hope you can find an Oap like me locally who can teach you. It’s not rocket science so don’t over fret about it, best of luck Ian

What problems are you having?

Not being able to take a very fine shaving.
Not being able to joint 2 pieces of wood.
Being unsure if the planes are set up optimally.
In short I would like to learn how to set up my planes correctly rather guessing. Hence wanting to find some tuition.

If you can find a copy of this book.
https://www.oldtools.co.uk/products..._keuZbWuRZ3HV5f2JLKJsinpx_euTyOMaAgVjEALw_wcB
It's basically Record Tools guide to hand planes, it's the best written guide, I've ever found.
There are several versions, from the 1930's to the last and probably the best in 1959. (I believe there is a recent reprint, but have not seen a copy.)
All the settings are common to all Bailey type metal hand planes, Stanley, Record, Millar Falls, and Wickes/B&Q offerings.

if you are in North Oxfordshire, I might be able to help.

Bod

I have a 3 decent hand planes and despite watching a good number of YouTube videos and getting a fair amount of practice I'm still not happy with my planes set up or my own self taught technique, (although that is improving gradually with time).

I'd love to attend a course 1 or 2 days that will cover the basics of plane set up and use.
I live in Oxfordshire, I wonder if anyone can recommend a course within say a 60 to 90 minute drive of Oxford please?
I've had a look on the internet but can't find anything around here - but I suspect I'm not looking in the right places or perhaps using incorrect search terms.

Thanks for any pointers.

(To add I'd gladly pay in beer, wine or hard currency if there's anyone in or around Oxfordshire that would be willing to show me how to set up my planes one saturday morning in the new year.)

This won't answer your immediate requirements for time and distance, or maybe cost, but should conditions improve and David Charlesworth offers his five-day Tool Tuning course, I recommend taking it. I live a bit farther away than Oxfordshire, but my cost of transportation, lodging, and shipping of my tools to attend all of his courses was money well spent. I arrived as a blank slate with no experience or bias, and left with incredibly sharp tools and the knowledge and skills to keep them sharp.

In case the face to face courses aren't available, the next best thing in my opinion are David's videos. These are available in DVD or streaming format:

https://www.davidcharlesworth.co.uk/product/plane-sharpening-dvd/
https://www.davidcharlesworth.co.uk/product/639/
https://www.davidcharlesworth.co.uk/product/precision-planing-dvd/

The hand plane, looks so simple and versatile yet I have not got one, yes I know I am missing something handy and useful but to me it is the great unknown.

This might just be one of the best videos on the subject of planing using a reference, there was an original of this video which might be flying about in the either, regardless if you go searching for that or not, the one linked will get you to a point of taking full length shavings, so beyond this video is some lessons which you might pick up from David Charlesworth's videos.
You will have precice methodoligy after this.

And then afterwards should you be getting tearout or planing long stock,
you could look at the other David (W) for more on setting up the tools themselves,
as any other guru's advice that's not the same is silly ostrich behavour, which is still very much so, abundant.

Is this new???? I don't recall seeing this when I was looking for suitable courses a few years ago. To the best of my memory, the only tool-related courses I can remember from Peter were weekend or two-day courses.

I did it in early 2016.

I did Peter Sefton's beginners/hand tool course - lots of sharpening and you make a letter rack. Definitely worth considering.

That was the first thing we did in school woodwork age 11 - lots of sharpening and a letter rack. Then an egg rack (similar but with holes in). Then a bit of woodturning. My 12" bowl started at 3" deep but was down to 1" by the time I'd finished it and beaten it into submission.

Did it end up a lampshade?

I did an Axminster turning course. As you might imagine, more than one person went through the bottom of their bowl; the instructor's comment was "Your peanuts will fall out of that." Which was much funnier at the time.

If you can find a copy of this book.
https://www.oldtools.co.uk/products..._keuZbWuRZ3HV5f2JLKJsinpx_euTyOMaAgVjEALw_wcB
It's basically Record Tools guide to hand planes, it's the best written guide, I've ever found.
There are several versions, from the 1930's to the last and probably the best in 1959. (I believe there is a recent reprint, but have not seen a copy.)
All the settings are common to all Bailey type metal hand planes, Stanley, Record, Millar Falls, and Wickes/B&Q offerings.

if you are in North Oxfordshire, I might be able to help.

Bod

Thanks, will have a look for the book.
I am near Kidlington

Is this new???? I don't recall seeing this when I was looking for suitable courses a few years ago. To the best of my memory, the only tool-related courses I can remember from Peter were weekend or two-day courses.

I have been running this one for at least ten years or more, sharpening and tool preparation/selection are covered in the first day and half, the rest of the week is planing, joint cutting, assembly and finishing.

I did run a two day sharpening course which was basically the same as the first two days of the five day beginners course but the uptake was never great and I would prefer to teach sharping alongside making.

Cheers

Peter

I have been running this one for at least ten years or more, sharpening and tool preparation/selection are covered in the first day and half, the rest of the week is planing, joint cutting, assembly and finishing.

I did run a two day sharpening course which was basically the same as the first two days of the five day beginners course but the uptake was never great and I would prefer to teach sharping alongside making.

Cheers

Peter

Thank you for explaining, Peter.

I've also got a copy if you want to buy it. Bite his hand off.

Back