Hand Plane rust prevention!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michel

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

just wondered if anybody uses anything to protect their hand planes from rust etc (apart from elbow grease :lol: ).

In the past i've just used a light coat of oil with my tools.

Regards :D

Michel

Hi, Michel,

What you are doing is probably as good a method as any. FWIW I use camelia oil (from Axminster) - 'tis a very light oil so a thin film applied with a rag doesn't make the tools too messy.

Hello,
I've been working away from home recently and had a lot of trouble with my planes getting a thin coating of rust on the base. I don't like to coat them in oil/whatever as I don't have a lot of time these days for woodworking, let alone cleaning off the oil before I can start.
The solution I hit on was to use the sleeves from some old cotton shirts. Slip the planes inside and they seem to keep the rust at bay. (Okay, I admit it, I nicked the idea from L-N :wink:).

Regards,
M

I have a small tool cabinet next to my bed, and at night I bring my most prized hand tools in to keep them warm and toasty. :shock:
No, just joking, Honest!
A nice coat of paste wax for infrequently used tools and a wipe over with camelia oil for the rest at the end of every session works for me. That low angle L-N block plane still rusts like a pipper though!
Regards,
Philly

If you keep your L-N planes in their boxes and wrap them in the paper they came in - they don't rust

Mick

Latest posts

Back