Hand Plane Restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HRRLutherie":b5uytlsn said:
Wow, impressive!

So do you just keep it in a tub?

I got 1 ltr plastic container..and it mixes 5:1 so you end up with 6 ltrs total diluted mix which I keep in a rectangular plastic Tupperware container. I heat that in a microwave for 1 minute each time I want to use it (it works best hot) and then bung the bits in it overnight taking care to stack it with nuts and stuff so that the liquid gets all around the part.

I decant the liquid every so often and throw away the crud that falls to the bottom although I don't think you need to.

I still have about 1/2 ltr of concentrate left...and the original mix is still usable after a year or even more, actually I note the date of the photos above and they were May 2010 so two years next month...and last week it did this....

hirschironcorrodipcompare1.JPG

I guess it does run out eventually but I have cleaned probably a dozen planes with it since I got it and it doesn't appear to be failing with all that re-use.

I don't usually rave about a product but there are a few I still use after many years and this is one of them.

Jim

HRRLutherie":1sspukgq said:
And what do you use as a rust inhibitor?

My planes live indoors in the winter. :mrgreen:

Even then I cover them in Camelia oil regularly with use. A quick wipe over....and use them regularly.

Rust comes from not using often and leaving them in damp sheds and workshops....

Jim

Latest posts

Back