Hand plane issue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScaredyCat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks.

Having a little 'issue' with a hand plane. I use quote marks around issue because I'm not sure if it's something I need to worry about , it's certainly not causing problems as yet so perhaps more of a question as to should I worry or just forget about it . The plane is all fine, sharp and works well, it's just that the lateral adjuster has to sit far to the right for the blade to be even at the mouth. I took the blade and chip breaker out, blade seem straight with cambers on either edge (previous owner had done this), sits straight. Simply when I use the adjuster to expose more blade it isn't straight unless I use full lateral adjustment.

Any ideas?

Is the cap iron sitting in line with either side the blade properly? IE: not sitting too far to the left or right of parallel with the iron?

Is the washer on the lateral adjuster complete and properly round? If it's been misaligned then forced into position against the hard edge of the blade slot, the edge of the washer can get mashed up a bit, so it tends to dive under the blade when it should be pressing against it and moving it.

Are the chip breaker and blade aligned so the adjuster sits in the middle of the slot on the chip breaker? I had something similar on my Clifton No6 when I first got it until I noticed the blade was 2mm wider than the chip breaker and had not aligned so they were perfectly parallel!

AndyT":1maheptb said:
Is the washer on the lateral adjuster complete and properly round?

Yes, washer looks nice and round.

Trevanion":1maheptb said:
Is the cap iron sitting in line with either side the blade properly?

Yes nice and central. I'vetried exposing the blade fully, measuring and lining up, then attaching the cap iron and backing it off but it's still offset when I expose the blade again.

Blackswanwood":1maheptb said:
Are the chip breaker and blade aligned so the adjuster sits in the middle of the slot on the chip breaker? I had something similar on my Clifton No6 when I first got it until I noticed the blade was 2mm wider than the chip breaker and had not aligned so they were perfectly parallel!

Yes. central in the slot.

I took the frog out and make sure it was all clear of debris underneath and reassembled it but still the same. :(

If you put a square on the blade, is the peak of the camber central, with the edge symmetrical?

Is the frog sitting square and seated properly ? More likely though as Andy says, it is not ground quite square. When checking, watch out that the sides of the iron are parallel if using a square, some seem to taper in width, hiving a false impression if checked with a square from one side only.

The frog being located properly would be evident as a gap between the cutter and the mouth on one side, but not the other if it wasn't.

Tom

AndyT":3tzx3nx7 said:
If you put a square on the blade, is the peak of the camber central, with the edge symmetrical?

It looks like this is the problem. It's not in the middle.

Thanks!

Sheffield Tony":3g9jshvh said:
Is the frog sitting square and seated properly ? More likely though as Andy says, it is not ground quite square. When checking, watch out that the sides of the iron are parallel if using a square, some seem to taper in width, hiving a false impression if checked with a square from one side only.

Yes, double checked the frog and when I checked the bade I did originally only check from one side. This time, checking for a central camber I check from both and it became quite obvious.

Back